A

Anonymous

Eric,

I was wondering how it was going to be handled if more than one student picks the same coral considering that all of the reports are going to be published on reefs.org. It would seem redundant to have more than one write-up for the same coral. I consider the possibility remote that multiple people will choose the same coral, but the possibility is still there considering there's approx 50 students in this class...

Anyhow, I thought I'd throw that out for discussion.
smile.gif

Oh, fwiw...I'm going to make a preempted strike and choose ricordia florida as my "coral" of choice (even tho it is technically not a coral)...
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Shane
(aka Liquid)

[This message has been edited by LiquidShaneo (edited 19 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by LiquidShaneo (edited 19 March 2001).]

A

Anonymous

OK, good point. Shane, it is possible that more than one student will pick the same coral - that's ok - we can either combine them later or have more than one listing at the end.

However, let's dicuss this now - if it would be to everyone's agreement that it would be advantageous to have different corals for each student, let's do this. I don't however, want to jeapordize the desires or success of the individual student. If people realy want to do the same coral, then let's let them do it. If they can choose another one and be happy with it, I think choosing seperate corals would be a good idea.

Ricordea is fine - so is Blastomussa. It will be also interesting to find out if the identifications of all the students' intial selections turn out to be correct or even ascertainable.

A

Anonymous

What about a coral we dont know what it is. I have a monti and a couple acros that I have not identified. That is one of the reasons I took this class. I know it hard to identify a coral if you dont know were it came from, But a few of them I know the area they came from. Or is it easier to know the type of coral for the project.
Thanks
Dave

A

Anonymous

I'll try to get my shot in early.

I'm going to study a Heliopora coerulea as my project. Commonly called Blue Coral.

Any one else?
Reefbug

A

Anonymous

Dave:

That's exactly what I want you to do -

And, also, what i hope you can get from the class :)

Eric

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking of going w/ Turbinaria Peltata(got 2 of these w/ different shapes) or Goniopora(2 of these also. Not sure what species yet...I think they're Lobata). If I go w/ Goniopora, I'll need to identify them.

------------------
Remember...Wherever you go...There you are

A

Anonymous

As you guys choose, let me add this, too....

It is also possible to pick a stony coral that has died - and that you still have the skeleton.

Just a thought

Eric

A

Anonymous

Just how much dissecting of our chosen coral are we going to do?
wink.gif

I have a green one too, fogcutter! It's some type of Scolymia, I think
biggrin.gif

A

Anonymous

Alice:

I am inherently against harming living creatures. I will not ask you to dissect or in any way harm your corals.

Eric

A

Anonymous

I plan to do mine on what I believe is Acropora sarmentosa - at least that's closest match I could find in Veron (2000) based on the colony shape and coralite structure and placement. Let's see if I still think it is A. sarmentosa at the end of the course.

------------------
ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site

A

Anonymous

Think I'm gonna pick my Sinularia dura, at least thats what I think it is. I'm currently trying to decide for sure since it looks very similar to some Lobophytum crassum pictures I have seen.

A

Anonymous

I want to do mine on one of my Euphyllia, only problem is that I am not sure if its glabrescenes or divisia.

I definatly have a frogspawn (divisia)but the one I want to do it on has much longer tenitcles and bigger bulbs on the end. I think its the glaberscenes.

Eric, any easy checks to determine exactly what it is ?

Thanks

Lachlan

A

Anonymous

I'd like to do my Frogspawn, Euphyllia divisa, but Lock, since you mentioned it first, if you want I'll do my Nephthea. Your choice.
smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Fish daddy,
How did you start that dialog with me....would like to get it back.

I want to do the other one (ie not the grogspawn)....I just need to clarify what it is.

A

Anonymous

I'd like Plerogyra sinuosa

------------------
Dennis
The Marine Aquarium Society of Los Angeles County meets the 2nd Friday of Every Month.
More info at http://www.maslac.org. Upcoming events:
March 24 Reef Tank Tour http://www.maslac.org/TankTour.htm
April 13 Meeting: Frag Swap. Speaker: Steve Tyree
May 11 Meeting: Eric Borneman speaking.
May 12 LFS and Reef Tank Tour and BBQ

A

Anonymous

I'd like to take hydnophora pilosa, at least that's what species I think it is, it was sold as such.

Janna

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: