A

Anonymous

Firstly, I think you have made a typo in the week 2 lecture notes..."Those with a complete fifth pair are termed macrocnemic and those with an unpaired fifth set are termed macrocnemic"... presume one of these should be bracynemic.

Secondly, I couldn't find any reference to this in EIS, but will re-read, so found a document on the web 'Zoanthids by EB' where it states "Tentacles are found in two nearby rows, termed the brachycnemic and macrocnemic arrangements.".

This seems to conflict slightly with what is in the lecture notes, any chance of a clarification?
http://www.aquarium.net/0198/0198_1.shtml

Probably won't be able to make the on-line chat tonight, summer time in UK has meant it starts 2am.

A

Anonymous

That old Zoanthid article was wrong. The tentacle feature is to help identification and was for practical purposes, and I was never able to refind the source for that bit, either. I didn't make it up, and I swore it was in a Coral Reef Handbook, but I never rediscovered it. Its not the true definition in any event and was a lay article. Hence ther reason its not in the lecture, the reading, Aquarium corals, or here.

Eric

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: