• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Am i missing something? i keep hearing jpg mentioned in discussions, but everything i find posted is gif. if it were jpg, things would be a little simpler. the files are coming through, but in a gigantic font that i've not been able to scale. i can scroll left and right to view an entire page, but i cannot get them scaled to print without something cut off. do i need to save them and then edit in a graphics editor like photoshop.

A

Anonymous

The files were originally in .jpg format. However, Bill converted them over to .gif's as the .gif's were smaller in size to download. Yes, you need to download them onto your machine before you can scale them and print them out using photoshop or whatever graphics program you have. That's the easiest route at any rate. Printing them from the browser is a PITA because there's no way to scale them to the size of a page. Use your graphics program to print them to a full-sized piece of 8x11 piece of paper.

Here's where we discussed this topic earlier:

http://www.reefs.org/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=displayprivate&number=6&topic=000099

hth

Shane

A

Anonymous

Fishdaddy...I have just completed downloading, uploading, sizeing. and contrast correcting the Dubinsky, Bauplan, and Histology .gif's. I started on Friday evening and on and off have worked on them until this evening(Monday). I estimate I have put in about 11 1/2 hours. I used PMView reccomended by ATJ. It's slow. And be careful because the quality of some of the downloads is poor and if you don't contrast and brightness correct you get a printed copy that is unreadable and you do it over again.
The worst part is that now that I have all this data, I've read some of it and I don't have a clue what's being said. Especially Dr. Peters'stuff on Histology. Not having a medical background, it might as well be Greek. Good luck!!!
D*ckT

A

Anonymous

Sorry Fishdaddy...that last post was for glh7767. See I told you I was done in!
D*ckT

A

Anonymous

Reefbug;

I think I remember you saying that you had "Aquarium Corals". If you read the chapter on The Secret Lives of COrals it will give you some background that can help you start to make heads or tails out of it.

Are we having fun yet?
wink.gif

oh and btw; when I was using the pmviewer, I only really had to adjust contrast, etc on a couple of pages. And I didn't bother resizing anything, I just hit print and on the print screen there's a button that says "size" and I just hit "fit to page"

[This message has been edited by Alice (edited 10 April 2001).]

A

Anonymous

Alice...thanks for your support. I have read chapter 5, Secret Lives...and yes, it does help explain some of it. In fact I have almost finished AC except Chapter 7. I am lucky to have a guy at my LFS who is really good on corals. I've talked with him and he has helped sort out some of what I didn't get. He showed me the entire program that Histology came from. He attended the same Dr.Peters course that Eric did. He just had a new genus, new species of coral (Bayerxenia janesi named after him).

And, YES, I'm having fun...you too?

Thanks again.
D*ckT

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: