Mickey

Long Time Lurker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric:

I am plowing through the reading assignment and came across something I don't understand. I know it is probably a minor matter, but if you could translate this for me I'd appreciate it.

Page 421, second paragraph "...supporting high primary production rates (e.g., 500 g C.m(-2).yr(-1)" also "...during the upwelling season ... were measured at 7-12 g C.m(-2).d(-1)"

The numbers in () are actually exponents but I didn't know how to superscript them.

I understand these are probably figures illustration production rates, but I just have no idea what it means.

thanks.
Mickey

Eric Borneman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the -(x) is a way of saying "per", or putting that number as a divisor.

This means x amount of Carbon in milligrams per meter squared per day.

Good question!

Also, carbon is the primary currency of production since primary production is through photosynthesis and the major product of photosynthesis is carbon-rich sugar...so carbon is an easily measured and quantified substance for such measurements.

Mickey

Long Time Lurker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the translation.

After reading more I finally realized that the -(x) meant "per" and I figured the "m" was meters and "d" or "yr" were obvious. But I never would have guess "C" was carbon. I kept thinking it meant "100" like a roman numeral.

Mickey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: