JustTechWriter

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks, I have been reefing for only 6 months and I am making some mistakes! I have a bunch of corals right now and everything else seems to be doing fine. I have some shrooms, blastos, some zoas, a favia... I have a bunch of LPS and softy frags lol.

I tried my hand at some SPS. I have a Millie and a Bonsai that I know just need a crap load of light which I am slowly upgrading to. Now, on to this Monti. At my local fish store, the skeleton/base of the monti was bright green with red polyps. It was super pretty. After bringing it home, dipping and acclimating it, I noticed only the top part was green and the rest was white. Later on, the whole thing became white but the polyps remained red.

Super big also, I noticed 2 holes in the monti and sometimes, something white would be sticking out of the holes. I used a needle to try and dig it out and dipping and the holes went DEEP into the coral. After doing some confused research, I assumed it was some sort of nudi or pest. I super glued the holes and those are the two semi green splotches you see.

I know I have made some mistakes, just wanted to inquire on if there were maybe some steps I could take to save this thing. It is on the sand bed now because it turned white while it was up super close to the light and I thought I bleached it.

All the live rock I have is in the 20 gallon so I could aquascape it. The 20 gallon also has a AI Prime reef 16 for it. The 10 gallon is just using a crappy coralife led to hold me down. So I know everything is lacking light at this moment. But to test out the AI Prime I did also add it to the 10 gallon in addition to the coralife and everybody absolutely loved it.
Parameters
PH 8.3
ALK 11.5 (a bit high)
Calc 440
Mag 1320
Nitrate 20 (very high)
Nitrite 0
Salinity 35ppt

Attachments

• 20240212_100703.jpg
    20240212_100703.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240212_102455.jpg
    20240212_102455.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240212_093852.jpg
    20240212_093852.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240211_210105.jpg
    20240211_210105.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240212_093859.jpg
    20240212_093859.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0

rongy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. It can be the lighting, most likely your LFS turned the light very blue, but your light looks white.

Your parameter looks fine (missing phosphate), but your tank looks really young for SPS

JustTechWriter

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. It can be the lighting, most likely your LFS turned the light very blue, but your light looks white.

Your parameter looks fine (missing phosphate), but your tank looks really young for SPS
Yeah my LFS has some Radions. Even when under the AI Prime light I have the color never looked the same as from the store so I do try to keep that in mind. I will also note, no more SPS for a very very long time. I will stick to softies and LPS. Thanks so much for your response @rongy and one day I hope to pick up a hammer or duncan from you.

rongy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI and Radion can show very different colors depends on the light template. I would say keep an eye on your Monti, they’re usually quite forgiving. if other sps can survive, they should be fine

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: