DarwinTheDog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefMon,

Thanks for suggesting "The ReefTank" in Burke, VA. I took a drive over there yesterday to check out the shop. Seems like a great little shop. Although it is not a big shop stocked with loads of merchandise, I was very impressed with the operation. It reminds me a bit of wholesale operations I have dealt with, it is set up much more in a functional way rather than just to be only aesthetically pleasing.

I had the opportunity to speak to Mike, one of the owners I assume. He seemed like a very sharp guy. I asked if I could see their propogation setup, and he agreed. This is perhaps the most impressive part of the operation. Nice to see this kind of effort.

I only made a small purchase yesterday, but I will absolutely be back. I got a bag of macro algae for my refugium and a bit of his live sand to add a little more diversity to my system. GREAT STUFF! I found several mini-stars and bristleworms, even a couple anthelia polyps.

Although they don't stock a lot of merchandise, seems like they will order anything you need. They did stock DT's, which was nice to see. I was told orders usually come in Monday or Tuesday.

Anyway thanks again for suggesting this shop. It is nice to find an intelligent and ethical place to shop (at least that is my first impression).

Dfladermaus you mentioned another shop in Baltimore. I was curious which one you are talking about. I like to visit all the local shops.

Thanks!

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: DarwinTheDog ]

ronl

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey drwwalker and DarwinTheDog,
It's been 2 1/2 weeks now; so how is the rock you got from Roozens? Anything good growing out of it? Would you buy it again if you could do it over? Any updated pictures?

Thanks,
Ron

drwwalker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock looks good I have a lot of feather dusters too and some sort of cucumber I its orange and black I left it in a holding tank bright colors sometimes mean danger looking for a picture on net for it

DarwinTheDog

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron,

The rock has cycled nicely and has proven to contain a nice assortment of life. Lots of feather dusters, good coralline growth, a few sponges, tunicates, forams, a lot of pods, some bristleworms, macros and more. Overall I am quite please with the purchase, at $2 a pound was hard to turn down (and I would probably try it again, depending on how it looked). That said I don't think I would buy rock from Roozen's holding tanks, as it is not that great IMO for $4.50 a pound. The Reef Tank in Burke, VA is having a live rock sale this weekend. I am sure they will have nice rock.

Anyway here is an updated picture. Not a great pic, and it is a few days old.

rockplatform.jpg

ronl

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DarwinTheDog,
I think that rock looks pretty good for $2/lb. Thanks for the picture. Looks like decent shapes and sizes too.

trustno1

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m clearly a few weeks behind the topic – I wanted to provide a different perspective on Roozen’s – which was most recently discussed in connection with their $2/lb live rock sale.

While new to this forum, I’ve been keeping numerous reef tanks for close to a decade. I’ve been to every store in the area – many times. Without question, I find Roozen’s the superior store – certainly for more advanced hobbyists.

The ad hominem statements by a forum member earlier this month were both untrue and highly inappropriate. I find Jos and Larry – who do most of the fish work – to be two of the most knowledgeable and helpful sellers around. They love their work and love to talk about their fish. A novice can learn a chapter’s worth in a visit – an old hand should be able to pick up some nugget each visit. Importantly, they never disparage anyone or any store as they have been disparaged by a very few persons in this forum.

There’s no question that Roozen’s main attraction is its massive selection. While most stores receive shipments one day a week – Roozen’s receives shipments every day of the week. They also wholesale to other stores. Those who haven’t seen their store are missing out. It may not be pretty – an old gravel-floored greenhouse -- but it’s where the most fish are. You can pay for pretty or pay for fish.

Grumpy Vet

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing I am the guy you are referring to...

We are going to have to agree to disagree on Roozens. I have been there quite a few times and have only seen them be rude to me and other reefers. Maybe there is a secret password or reef "gang" sign you can flash them to make them civil but I have seen many people shake their heads in disgust and have said to me and other reefers how they wish their was an alternative that had "healthy" stock in the same quantity & selection that Roozens did.

If any of you are coming to MACNA - this place is definitely a good place to check out. The diversity of the critters @ Roozen's Garden Center (main business is plants, trees & flowers) is amazing....but I would be interested to hear other reviews.

The things I take exception w/ are the amount of dead fish in the tanks, the extremely small "beta containers" they keep too big saltwater fish in for extended periods of time, the filth the animals are kept in and the rudeness of the employees.

One thing I will not dispute is the knowledge of Larry & Jos.....I believe they know a heck of a lot more than I do about this hobby....that is why it is painful for me to see the fish & critters "living" the way they are.

DC Reef - I hope you will post more on this board as your experience in the reefing hobby is invaluable to those of us that have only been doing it for a few years. Please don't take what I say as an affront to your credibility or my desire to learn from you.

I just have had very poor experiences w/ Roozens and have passed along those experiences w/o embellishment to my fellow reefers. Others have done the same for me and saved me from an order to Aquacon....

For those of you that have the LR from Roozens that is doing well - I am thrilled to hear it. I hope it continues to flourish in your aquariums.

GV

olgakurt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have to agree to disagree. They may well have a very few deals (i.e. the rock)and their fish selection is indeed the largest in the DC area, but the lighting conditions are poor, their corals always look bad, and they are constantly scooping dead fish out of their tanks. Their service also kind of stinks, and I find their knowledge, other than species ID, so-so.

Reef tank on the other hand has superior corals at better prices with better service.

pez

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DCReefer,

I have remained pretty quite about this, but it is clearly time to chime in. Roozen's is disgusting and should be shut down. Period. Their fish are marginally alive, their corals are mistreated beyond any level I have ever seen in a public place, and their live rock looks more like an algae farm than store quality fair.

I have never seen a healthy coral in the store. Any place that has >140ppm N03 in their reef tanks needs to take a very close look at what they are doing. They used to actually write the current parameters of their tanks on the tanks in case you are wondering how I know that.

Over the years I have talked to many people about Roozens. Despite the wealth of diversity in their livestock, the mortality rate of the fish and coral is extremely high. Even after you get them home.

Can you actually disagree that 40 yellow tangs in a 180 gallon tank is OK? Or that sand filtering fish in bare bottom tanks is healthy?

It completely frustrates me when I think of that place. It gives the entire industry a bad name.

I'm not sure who the people at the store you are referring to, but I know one of the guys from his work at Exotic Aquatics in Springfield.

Please don't feel like I am flaming you personally. Although I completely disagree with your opinion of Roozens, I do respect it. I am, however, flaming Roozens. It amazes me how over the years they have yet to improve their operations. I guess they have no incentive to change the way they operate if people still buy their product.

Off the high horse I go and donning the asbestos underwear.

-Tom

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: pez ]

KumByYa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which employee of Roozen are rude ? There are Larry, Jos, Tyrone, and some young turks who work part time. None can be think of as rude.

They do have wide selection of fishes and clams. If you buy their corals, make sure you know what you are buying cause it is so hard to check the corals out without lighting.

drwwalker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the time I have been going to Roozen’s I have never seen a lot of tangs in a small tank and besides in every store I have been in cantains tangs in 30 gal tanks or so fish never stay there that long the same for most stores and fish die in every fish store; you may not see them but they do I agree roozen's may not have alot of lights but they have added some lights to the tanks that require them. also so of the stores you may buy your fish from get them from roozens as wholesale

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: