• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jcooler

Saltwater lover
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, thats a lot of money for a complicated thing like that.
I like my $8.00 reverse UG system. I rarely change water, Maybe four or five times a year and only 20% I don't use a sump, cheato, denitricator coil, phosban, fuge,
dose vodka (except to my self for medicinal purposes) and I have no maintenance, no bills, and no nitrate.
But my tank is only 39 years old. I think at 40 the nitrates build up :tongue1:

Hi Bob, Jhale and Dom, ready to go collecting :approve:
Paul, Whats the theory behind the reverse UG filter. Is it that you are forcing the water to up through the sand and that's where the nitrates get eaten up?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Jcooler. This is a tough one to keep posting. I should have saved it in my documents to paste here. :tongue1:

Anyway a regular UG filter will not work for long in saltwater. It will clog in about a year and be useless causing you to tear apart the tank and curse me out, but a RUGF if installed the correct way will last forever with very little maintenance. One of the big problems with a DSB is that they are installed and expected to work forever with out doing anything to them. Nothing works forever with no maintenance.
My system is a UG filter where I plumbed all of the siphon tubes together and they all come up in one place at one end of the tank. I stuck them in the bottom of a plastic container which happens to be a HOB filter. The bottom of the container is just touching the water. A small powerhead with a sponge filter on it pumps water into the container so that each tube gets about 100 GPH. Thats it.
Now for the maintenance. That sponge on the powerhead I have positioned near the surface so I can just slip it off without even stopping the pump, and I rinse it in the sink. I do that about every week or two.
Then a few times a year I stir up the gravel with a canister filter. I use a diatom filter. I clean where ever I can reach without moving any coral or large rocks. While I am at it, I blast the rock with a strong stream.
Every 25 years I move the larger rocks and clean under them.
If it is run slow and gravel is used, it will also eliminate nitrates as I have none. Don't clean it too often because it is detritus in the gravel that will become anoxic areas to grow anerobic bacteria.
The thing will outlive you. :eek: and you will never have to change gravel and only change the water because people shame you into it. :smoker:

jcooler

Saltwater lover
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I will keep dreaming that I have half the success you have. :)
I have read a lot of your post on MR. sounds like you have quite a self sufficient(and long lived) tank. Maybe one day. lol
Also, I like the idea of the bottles, they look pretty cool.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: