• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

williah

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.northcoastmarines.com/denitrifying_filters.htm
Has a filter system for reducing nitrates, and now phosphates.

I'd like members to take a quick peek at the site, has pics and info, and post
there thoughts here...
It's expensive, about 560.00 dollars or so...

Is a DIY system better? Are you actually using one?

I'd love to hear advanced reefkeepers thoughts on this item

Andre

I recently found a DIY for a Sulfur DeNitrator on another forum (no offense intended MR) and it actually works brilliantly. It proved very inexpensive to build, up to $100 vs the $500, and it took about a week to build (included curing times). It's much more compact that the one in the link.

The system slowly draws water from the display, and recirculates it in the device using a powerhead in a closed loop. Within the reactor is SULFUR and a medium for bacteria. It takes about 3 days to cycle at which point the system is anaerobic and the bacteria munch away on the Nitrate and Sulfur. The effluent (around 1 drip/second) from the devise comes out with low pH due to increase CO2. This is then sent into a DIY recycling Calcium reactor (built generally with the same design as Su one), where it comes out Ca rich, and a pH of approx 8.

I've found it to work great. Supposedly you only need to open the Su reactor once a year (aside from minor powerhead checks) and the Ca reactor every few months. It works great with the tank and allows for extra feeding.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post another forum's link. If it's ok I will. Otherwise I can write over the directions.

williah

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found a DIY for a Sulfur DeNitrator on another forum (no offense intended MR) and it actually works brilliantly. It proved very inexpensive to build ($50-$100 vs the $500) and it took about a week to build (included curing times).

The system slowly draws water from the display, and recirculates it in the device using a powerhead in a closed loop. Within the reactor is SULFUR and a medium for bacteria. It takes about 3 days to cycle at which point the system is anaerobic and the bacteria munch away on the Nitrate and Sulfur. The effluent (around 1 drip/second) from the devise comes out with low pH due to increase CO2. This is then sent into a DIY recycling Calcium reactor (built generally with the same design as Su one), where it comes out Ca rich, and a pH of approx 8.

Don't know if I can post another forum's link. I can write over the instructions if not.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I recently found a DIY for a Sulfur DeNitrator on another forum (no offense intended MR) and it actually works brilliantly. It proved very inexpensive to build ($50-$100 vs the $500) and it took about a week to build (included curing times).

Don't know if I can post another forum's link. I can write over the instructions if not.

Sulfur denitrifiers can't be tuned down once they actually get nitrates down to 0 most of the time... Then you end up killing all the denitrifying bacteria, there for causing nitrates to come back and maybe even a cycle or spike depending on the size of the system.. Be careful...
Happy Reefing,,,,lol...

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Sulfur denitrifiers can't be tuned down once they actually get nitrates down to 0 most of the time... Then you end up killing all the denitrifying bacteria, there for causing nitrates to come back and maybe even a cycle or spike depending on the size of the system.. Be careful...
Happy Reefing,,,,lol...

If you get down to zero on your No3, then you don't have enough fish in there :lol:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Actually I don't have that many fish anymore but I do feed meat now, so I'm able to make enough to feed the denitrifier...
And oh yeah I only do water changes every once in a while so my nutrient levels are probably higher... But actual nitrates and phoshates are very low for the amount of water changes I do... Just recently had phosphates tested on a hanna and another instrument on the same levels and the first time was .06 and the second was .03... I still have the green in my tank but as long as the tangs have a natural food source it's al good with me...

thewolfguy

shadow member
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
Aquaripure

Lenny:

I have the Aquaripure running for about 3 or 4 weeks and no difference yet, but keep in mind the aquarium is only 2 months old. I have been adding things periodically ut am finally done. According to Aquaripure, it takes about 4 weeks to start kicking in, which is where I am at now. I will keep you updated.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I've been meaning to post this for a while just to inform sulfur users...
In "sulfur" nitrate filters the effluent contains large amounts of H2SO4, sulfuric acid, and SO4, sulfate. You must have a separate reactor with carbonate to neutralize the acid. The resulting effluent is still very high in sulfates and they will accumulate in the tank. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, high sulfates in drinking water can cause laxative effects. It is possible that it may also have adverse effects in the aquarium, especially on sensitive fish.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Lenny:

I have the Aquaripure running for about 3 or 4 weeks and no difference yet, but keep in mind the aquarium is only 2 months old. I have been adding things periodically ut am finally done. According to Aquaripure, it takes about 4 weeks to start kicking in, which is where I am at now. I will keep you updated.
Thanks, I bought mine around Thanksgiving and its already made a HUGE difference in the amount of nitrates in my tank. I have a 150gal system with a lot of fish and I power feed my fish (there monsters) so the Aquaripure really helped me. Thanks for the info :)

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Bob 1000I've been meaning to post this for a while just to inform sulfur users...
In "sulfur" nitrate filters the effluent contains large amounts of H2SO4, sulfuric acid, and SO4, sulfate. You must have a separate reactor with carbonate to neutralize the acid. The resulting effluent is still very high in sulfates and they will accumulate in the tank. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, high sulfates in drinking water can cause laxative effects. It is possible that it may also have adverse effects in the aquarium, especially on sensitive fish.

Thats why you pack the sulfur on the bottom of the reactor and run it thru arm media and is a must in denitrators....almost all of them have this media or chamber to scrub out the bad....:splitspin

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
No matter what you do the effluent is still giving off sulfates wether high or low it's still no good... You'll still have to perform water changes at a rate where you might as well not even be running the thing... That's why I went with the Natureef the biproduct of the denitrifying process gives of Alk, not sulfates... And the biproduct of the phosphate cycling to 0 gives off stronium... That's why I do water changes once or twice a year and still maintain sick colors in my Sps... You can't do that with a sulfur denitrifier..:splitspin

greggnyce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have one of those Denitrators I ran it on my old system and it worked. I have not needed it on my new system yet so it is in storage. I beleive the manufacturer is NATUREEF or something like that.

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I use a denitrifier as well a sulfur version and i like it. However, i use it Not as a subsitute for poor husbandry but an additional level of help for my large stocking levels as well as my feeding habbits...I have had great success with this denitrifier and a phosphate media(rowa).

Any preference (i.e. sulphur vs. methanol)?

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I'd go with a natureef more options and youy really don't have to do water changes much.. I do changes every once and a blue.. They also have phosphate options.. That I just started,,,:splitspin and for get it man.. Phates on a photo meter say 0.00 if I don't feed in one day.. So feeding is a must but I'm experimenting with amino acids to be able to keep levels almost non-existent .. I think it's the best thing..

Methanol why do you want to have to do water changes and run a denitrifier, Phosphate option rocks.. Buying salt is over rated,,lol..

bigsink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
469   0   0
I added the midwestaquatics smaller denitrator 2 weeks ago and my nitrates have gone from around 80 down to 20 on my Salifert kit. I cannot wait for the 0 reading and Bryopsis to die back. I hope it drops more. I am getting impatient.

jcooler

Saltwater lover
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. 80 ppm down to 20 in 2 weeks. That's the fastest I heard of one of these working. I just built a DIY coil denitrator 2 days ago. I don't expect to get that good of results, not that fast anyway, but if I can get even close to 60 ppm nitrate reduction after a few weeks, I will be very very happy. Keeps us posted with your results as time goes on. Hope I have the success that are having.
Thanks,
jeremy

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
But there are people here that don't do water changes for a long time without this reactor also....

I don't know, thats a lot of money for a complicated thing like that.
I like my $8.00 reverse UG system. I rarely change water, Maybe four or five times a year and only 20% I don't use a sump, cheato, denitricator coil, phosban, fuge,
dose vodka (except to my self for medicinal purposes) and I have no maintenance, no bills, and no nitrate.
But my tank is only 39 years old. I think at 40 the nitrates build up :tongue1:

Hi Bob, Jhale and Dom, ready to go collecting :approve:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: