finksmart

SPS Fanatic
Vendor
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
Neon Damselfish or Alleni Damsel (Pomacentrus alleni)

I love damsels. And these are my favorite next to the Starckis. But the Starckis are a little more aggressive, less hardy, and fetch a premium price due to their range and deep water origin, hence I don't market them except to the damsel die-hards that want to have a specie-only tank, or understand what they are getting.

Otherwise, these are, in my opinion, the most underrated and peaceful damsels I have encountered. The color on their body can change from vibrant blue to dark navy or almost black that can mean either excitement or stress.

They are know jumpers. So make sure your tank is cover.

For some reason they always come with some sort of fungus on their body when first arrive from the suppliers. I always treat them with Pimafix daily for a week before adding to my tank.

They don't pick on other fish. Even when you add a new fish that is another specie of damsel, it will hardly bother it. Sometimes it even gets chased by the new comer. It may flash its color or flare its fins. But it is only temporary.

They do chase each other around. But sometimes it seems more playful than harmful.

IMO these are less of a hassle to add to a tank than tangs.

Trios have done well for me. This time I am adding about 9 to my tank. I'm also selling these beauties as trios at $25. Eating and treated for fungus. First pay first serve.

Attachments

• neon_damsel2.jpg
    neon_damsel2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 142
  • neon_damsel1.jpg
    neon_damsel1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 140
  • neon_damsels.jpg
    neon_damsels.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 137

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: