• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Im setting up a 120 Gallon with One 2 inch Overflow and I would like anybodies suggestions on a return pump. The tank is 30" Tall so do I need a pressure pump? Internal or External

I'm looking for a quiet cost effective pump.

Thanks for your suggestions.

dacrystal-tank.gif

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
you dont want to use ur return for the main part of your flow... the return pump should be just to simply return the water that is flowing through the sump... we use powerheads such as tunzes or vortechs to get the flow we desire in our tanks... just incase you dont know its better to have slow water movement through ur sump ...

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i would use at least >1500 gph pump for just the return(prefer with a true union ball valve),no need pressure pump.
eheim n quietone i like. both effiecient n runs kinda cool n most importantly quiet. may hear hummimg when close to it. n guess what, they can be use exter n inter.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Thanks House.

I like GenX Mak 4. I would like to use an Eheim but don't I need more GPH for a 120:confused: The 1260 is rated at 634 GPH

Dan

I believe there is one eheim larger - try the 1262 (?). That should do it plenty - the mak 4 would be good, but as Scoots eluded to, having internal flow aside from your return helps keep stuff suspended in the water column to get into your sump, skimmed or filtered out etc.

I would consider both - when I first set up my 180 I did so with an external Panworld PS-250 - beast of a pump and crazy flow - my electric bill was through the roof and I was getting bad dead spots with cyano etc. So I cut the return to the Genx PCX-55 which is the bigger brother to the Mak4 - the thing was virtually silent and it moved good water through an ocean motion 4 way as well as 2 penductors -

If you have questions, feel free to call me.

House

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
we use powerheads such as tunzes or vortechs to get the flow we desire in our tanks...

Be aware that it is very difficult to place power heads in this tank as they always stick out like a sore thumb. The back wall (all 2 inches on either side) and the overflow are the best options. I ended up going with the tunze nanos because they fit and have good flow.

Also, the racetrack with a curve at the end nature of the tank, seems to keep the flow moving more than in other tanks. I originally had 4 power heads and switched to 2 because the trachys on the sand bed were getting beaten up.

I don't really know that much about pumps. I have a Sen 900 which is not that good, but you will find that space under the cabinet is very limited. This is the only pump that would fit in my ecosystem sump. By the time it reaches the tank it is pushing 600gph.

Overall, if I did not have a refugium in my sump, I would rather have more power from the return pump and less need for power heads.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I really like the 2 sides - it makes it difficult for things to hide and never be seen again and the tank seems much more dimensional than a one sided viewing pane.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
i would use at least >1500 gph pump for just the return(prefer with a true union ball valve),no need pressure pump.
eheim n quietone i like. both effiecient n runs kinda cool n most importantly quiet. may hear hummimg when close to it. n guess what, they can be use exter n inter.

dacrystal, Love your tank!! I have a 155 G Bow Front, and I do not like the look of pumps in my tank. What I have is an Iwaki WMD 40 RLT external pressure rated pump, and a Eheim 1260. And to enhance the flow issue which I don't believe is a real issue in my set (up since I don't keep SPS except for the caps) is a friend is going to add enductor/penductor to my returns. Just in case one day I branch out into the SPS. Hope that helps.
Oh, and I have a Eheim 1262 as my return pump in my 75 FOWLR.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Thanks Guys, I'm going with the Eheim 1262 for the return pump. Internal is the way to go for me cause I dont have much space underneath!

Probably go with a couple of Tunzes inside. Thanks for your input.

taat2d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
you dont want to use ur return for the main part of your flow... the return pump should be just to simply return the water that is flowing through the sump... we use powerheads such as tunzes or vortechs to get the flow we desire in our tanks... just incase you dont know its better to have slow water movement through ur sump ...
Not trying to steal this thread but Tony why is a slow pump in the sump better? More time for water/air exchange?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
well that plus it gives the skimmer time to do its thing instead of having ripping tides moving through the sump you have the water calmly moving through it giving the skimmer time to do what its gotta do, and it allows for most of the bubbles that would give you microbubbles in ur main tank to dissepate before it hits the return pump... just a couple of things..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: