• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
This afternoon, I was admiring the work that my new turbos were doing on my algae when I noticed a little tiny crab crawling out from under a rock. I turned around to grab my camera and snap a pic, but he was gone by the time I looked again.

The crab looked to be approximately 2 cm across, and almost completely white. I thought it was one of my tiny blue legs poking aroung under the rock until it scuttled out into the light a little more. It has a body shape similar to an anemone crab but it didn't look like it had any spots.

I looked through all of the hitchhiker's guide stuff, but I didn't see anything that looked like what I saw. Any ideas? I haven't seen anything that looks damaged, so I'm hoping it's a friendly hitchhiker, as opposed to an evil one.

Last edited:

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Does it look like this?
AcroCRab_1.jpg

Acro crab from jim's tank.

B

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Okay, I am resurrecting this thread. I saw my little white crab again today, and it is not an acro crab. I tried to get a photo, and then I tried to rip it out, but the little bugger is fast and digs into the sand. It is completely white - no black band and no black claws. It's maybe a half inch long now and when I saw it, it seemed to be picking things off of one of my rocks, though not bothering the corals. I will post my (poor) photo of it in a bit. Any ideas right off the bat though? Should I try to bait it and get it out?

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
there are two types of crabs i've seen which do that. one's kinda small which is basically called a sand shifting crab and looks like a bug, the other looks like an actual crab and sticks its head semi outta the sand and has lil filters on its antenas. But i forget the name :(

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
They can live in a reef tank, but they prefer to live in an acropora.

I recently put an acro from Midnight madness into my tank (august) it had one (1) acro crab in it (I knoe cause I had to dip the coral and catch the little bugger before dipping).

Now there are 3 :party:

House

Are they bad? I got 5-6 frags and colonies and every single one had a grab on it but I didn't remove them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: