• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
Is this is green montipora capracornis with blue polyps? not that i dont have an idea already, but im interested in its true or genes name so i can put into database

Attachments

• DSCF0867.JPG
    DSCF0867.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 197

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Need Help! Coral ID?

Excerpt: Without question, the predilection to add the species name "capricornis" to any flat, plating, or whorled, turbinate Montipora is my own personal favorite. I once spent five days examining a piece of Montipora, sold to me as M. capricornis, trying to affix a species name to it. I had six separate taxonomic reference sources at my disposal, including some of the original species descriptions for various Montipora species. I used a dissecting scope, a hand lens, a ruler, a micrometer and sketches to help me decipher what species I had. Eventually, I gave up. I could not tell what I had in front of me. To illustrate this point, I looked at the first ten pages of photos from a search on google.com using the search term "Montipora capricornis." I would question the correct identification of M. capricornis on all of them, but of thirty or so sites, only two had what appeared might be the real thing. I then asked members on reefcentral.com to provide photos of corals they believed to be M. capricornis. After receiving a bevy of possible photos, I chose images that were clear enough to see and represented a spectrum of foliose Montipora species. Without question, there are some beautiful corals here, and without question they all display a foliose, plating, or turbinate growth form.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
i want a frag of freds frag.
I want a frag of jhale's frag of freds frag

So about IDing that, I guess it's kind of like whatever we want to call it in the mean time until someone really know how to tell the difference.

BTW, Slama, how should I get the pix to you? If you wanna drop by, I am usually at 7th Avenue and 8th Avenue around 42-50 street between two cafes now. Or, if you have something interesting in your tank for me to see, I can drop by your house as well.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: