• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
How are you doing Bob?
For some reason crab season came and went but no one told the crabs. They were gone this year. Maybe I took them all last year. How are those shrimp doing? I still have a bunch.

The shrimp #'s are dwindling... My wrasse has taken a serious liking to these creatures... I have noticed that 2 of the 8 I have left have eggs on them.. I think the wrasse new what he was doing by leaving 2 females behind,,lol..

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Is there a cure time and procedure for your locally collected live rock or do you just put it in your tank? We launch our boat all of the time and there is always a layer of oil and fuel around the boat launch, I don't know if environmental law are different where you are but I would imagine that shore conditions where you collect are very similar there as they are here in Westchester. Also I would be concerned about the run off from the shore contaminating the rock and water close to the shore line as well. But you stated somewhere that you treat your water with bleach to cure it. Is there a similar method with the rock? I would hate to add something to my tank that could foul things quickly as fuel or motor/primer oil.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Maybe I will put a piece of the boat ramp in my tank to check it out :bablefish
LOL I have 3000+ dives in and around NYC and swam through my share of oil slicks I've never really witnessed fish effected( is effected or affected? I'm sure I'll be corrected) by them but once....

I did see a couple of bait fish once swallow some of the slick
they swam around in circles real fast than suddenly stopped

I guess they ran out of gas:splitspin :tongueani :splitspin

Last edited:

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Sorry if my questions seem beneath you thanks for the help.
Brendan my response wasn't directed at your post what so ever

sorry if you took it that way I was just poking a little fun with Paul

oil and gasoline float on water and eventually gasoline evaporates leaving water
If you leave gasoline uncovered ir will evaporate
oil on the other hand doesn't and when you see a large crude oil spill on the water the coast guard puts out oil booms to contain it
those booms simply float on water to prevent the spill from spreading
attached is a picture of one type

I guess the whole point is rocks collected from the bottom aren't contaminated with gas or oil ( unless they are the floating varity!
it would make sense to say that as you take the rock through the surface
it could get coated with contaminants if they were present
pretty simple to rinse it off

as anything collected it should be Q/T'ed and for that matter anything you get from any other tank should be Q/T'ed heck I just lost 5 large colonies of SPS to AEFW even though I got them form othe aquarists
your question wasnt benaeth anyone, again sorry you saw it that way

Attachments

• Boajpg.jpg
    Boajpg.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Brendan, i don't quarantine or do any thing elst to rocks besides shake them in deeper water to get rid of the mud. Of course if it has all sorts of worms, sponges and barnacles, these will die in a tank and should be removed first. Most of the stuff we have here is not porous and it is ugly so it could be used as basr rock where you won't see it. I use a lot of rock that was basically asphalt. You can't use asphalt unless it has remained under the sea for fifty years or so and even then it could cause problems. It is very porous and I use a lot of it but I do not advocate or recommend it to others. I do like to collect it and shake it in a pail of water to extract the pods from it though.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
lol paul. i go down to the hudson ricer up in peekskill and collect pods as well, been finding these little red worms to { not bristle } will try to get a pic of them, i can collect 500+ pods in 5 min, have a bucket with some water swirl rock around in water to get the pods off, takes me 20 times longer trying to get just them out of the water in the bucket and nothing else, my fish and seahorse love it, actually i have a 2g tank i am going to try and raise some in

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: