• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i did last week bob, went today, but water was too high and current to strong lol when i plan to go and get them never a good time water wise, when i take daughter to park and have nothing to put them in i see a ton

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Wait I am totally new to this. I would absolutely love to locally collect stuff... So what is the process... do you guys actually dive in or just like pick stuff up as you walk? Where can you do this?

Acerno

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I collected oyster shells and sea water from Breezy Point, Queens which is facing the Atlantic Ocean. I strained the sea water through a cloth expresso coffee filter and cleaned the shells under tap water. I set up all my nano reef tanks this way. The tanks were teeming with microscopic life after a week and the corrals when introduced have done extremly well. I recommend Paul B's method!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I still have some mud I collected a couple of months ago out on the east end. I keep the bacteria up by having a bunch of mud snails in there which I feed. I occasionally transfer some mud and associated bacteria to my reef until I get to the sea to collect some more mud.
It's almost collection season and I will get the boat ready soon. I know it's 20 degrees out now but I hope to be out collecting soon if anyone wants to go.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Here is another thing I found in there today. I am sure all healthy older tanks have a bunch of these tubeworms
Gobieggs004-1.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: