• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have a stray volt probe, actually. :)

Update: the coral death seems to have leveled out. I took one phosban reactor offline and did a couple of big water changes. My cyano is back (sigh) but the coral death seems to have at least slowed.

I am currently trying to keep up with big water changes. I'm converting one of my Phosban reactors into a carbon reactor. I haven't seen any monti eating nudis thus far, but I am keeping my eyes open just in case. Thanks for all of the suggestions - I am sad that I lost some beautiful corals.

It is possible that my tank just got too crowded and the corals are simply making silent toxic war on each other. :(

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0

Actually Rich, I think this is entirely possible as there are several large leathers, sinularias etc. that do throw off toxins that some SPS don't like AND carbon was not being run efficiently in a reactor which would normally counter act the toxins. So crowding per se may not be the problem, but toxin production in a small water volume with out an effective means of removal COULD very well be the problem.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I guess you're right Randy but it seems far fetched. Over the past 10 years I have always read that softies emit toxins to "defend" their proximity, I just haven't seen too many (if any) examples. I can't remember
While toxins could very well be a possibility(I shouldn't have said no), since mostly SPS are involved I would vote for a water quality issue.....specifically phosphates. Cyano outbreak is a sure sign.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Ellebelle, a pic of the full tank would give us a better idea. It's hard to diagnose a problem when you can't see what going on.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
FTS coming soon, but things are definitely perking up since I starting running carbon in a reactor as opposed to just putting it in a filter sock in my sump. I also gave my skimmer a thorough cleaning and it seems to be skimming more efficiently now. My levels are still reading pretty much the same though... I need to find someone with a Hanna meter to test my phosphates properly.

smcooler

farmer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
FTS coming soon, but things are definitely perking up since I starting running carbon in a reactor as opposed to just putting it in a filter sock in my sump. I also gave my skimmer a thorough cleaning and it seems to be skimming more efficiently now. My levels are still reading pretty much the same though... I need to find someone with a Hanna meter to test my phosphates properly.

send me some water i will test for you. I will PM you my adress.

stan

CyanoMagnet

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things come to mind. Did you check for monti eating nudis?
And is the nutrients REALY zero? That would affect the corals. They need some sort of nutrients. But zero usualy does not mean zero.

If you have any sort of algae growth I doubt you have zero's.

I would also run more carbon. Incase you or someone spilled something? Maybe toxins from softies?

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: