• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I'm not sure what the question is here? "best" bulb as in quality, or favorite bulb? They are not necessarily the same thing. The latter is completely subjective. The Reeflux lamps are the perfect example---many like and use them because they find the color appealing, but they are among the worst constructed, least consistent from lamp to lamp and prone to manufacturing defects.

If you are interested in the "best" for your system, you also need to include the ballast and reflector combo you use to arrive at anything resembling a constructive answer. Check out Sanjay's lighting site on the homepage if you haven't already done so.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I personally believe its all about preference what the "best" would be. I think as long as its a good name brand with good build--IceCap, Radium, Pheonix etc.-- quality its then all about what you like blue look, white look.
I used to run IceCap 14K's they were very white looking and were 400W, I now run 250W IceCap ballasts with Pheonix 14K's. I love the look of the Pheonix- they have a little more of a blue look to them but I also liked the IceCap- the best I think is what pleases you more asthetically and give you good results how YOUR tank is laid out and the corals YOU have. What may work best for me may not work best for you.

Last edited:

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I've used Ushio 14K 150W and Phoenix 14K 150W and liked them both. I love the growth I am getting with the Phoenix though and the extra blue-but not too much- in them makes all the colors pop more. THe Ushio was white and crisp if you like that more. I think it was easier to take pictures of the corals with the Ushio, the Phoenix makes the colors appear different in the photos I take.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
for color IMO the galaxy ballast and radium combo is the best but be prepared to replace the radiums every 6 months.

for overall a great color/growth rate bulb Ushio 14k or G-man 14k, some would say they are the same bulbs because they are made in the same factory.

nyfynest22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
intresting i currently have 3x mini coralvue pendants wich are outstanding and 3 coralvue dimmable ballast wich are great as well, but looking for a better bulb for growth and also a good looking bulb for poping corals, maybe a slight blue tint on them

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I agree 100% with prattreef.

...For my answer... I'm running a DE 250 watt PFO reflector and an Ice cap ballast.. I am going to try the Elos bulb next I think.. Phoenix was too blue IIRC.. I have the Ushio 14,000K and it's very white. Not any blue there though, IMO.

I had a magnetic ballast/radium combo and that was fantastic.

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Im running 14K Phoenix and its just enough blue for me. I went from using the Ushio 14K and it was very white just like E.intheC states. That to me was sorta unreal the blue gives it a more natural look and makes the colors pop in my opinion.

As for growth after I changed to the Phoenix my zoas growth was incredible some nearly doubling my monti's that were growing a tiny bit on the edges now are looking to be putting out more growth. Even the gorgonias are showing their polyps even if something grazes them. I wasnt expecting this much difference.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: