NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ok since on this with tang's what's the best individual tang. and at what size have you kept them at in what size tank. i know i know, but alot of you know you have tried in smaller tank. would love a small chevron, would have large tank by the time i really needed it. i would definately so dont put it in a tank that's not really established,

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
there are other factors that are invloved like rockwork whos the biggest and most often same shape ones will fight with others who are from different species. it can be done right now i have a large powder blue tang, 2 blue hippos, yellow tang, and purple tang. the only ones that have given me problems are the yellow and purple. mostly cause they are the same shape. but i punished the yellow and he is behaving much better.

ZANYMASTER

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
410   0   0
I have two tangs in my 90 and that'll be it.One Hippo and one orange shoulder,he picks on the smaller Orange shoulder from time to time but mostly leaves it alone.The orange shoulder will eventually get bigger than the hippo so it won't bully it for long.Plenty of rock work for them.

scunfcu

Reefer
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Having the Power Brown and Yellow together for two days, I noticed they are not fighting much now. My rocks layout allows the Power Brown to swim and hide, but I can tell he likes to go full speed alot, much more than my Yellow Tang.

Looks like I'll be ok with just the 2. Was planning on small Hippo but couldn't resist the Power Brown. I will monitor them and see if I need to keep only one.

scunfcu

Reefer
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
That sucks, such a pretty fish. Let's see what happens. I think it may gotten ich, looking to get cleaner shrimp for treatment. I won't be able to catch it since it'll go into the many caves and crevices in the rocks.

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks, such a pretty fish. Let's see what happens. I think it may gotten ich, looking to get cleaner shrimp for treatment. I won't be able to catch it since it'll go into the many caves and crevices in the rocks.

I have had a lot of bad experiances with tangs and ick. They seem to be prone to it because of the skin. I would make a serious attempt in catching him and moving him to another tank to be treated you could get the rest of your fish infected.

scunfcu

Reefer
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Can't catch it, it'll go into cave or crevices really fast. I can't move my rocks, otherwise I lose my configuration. Only have 2 tangs and 1 damsels in my tank, so I hope getting some Cleaner shrimp may help with ick.

Chiefmfuz, you have 2 in 24g?

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't catch it, it'll go into cave or crevices really fast. I can't move my rocks, otherwise I lose my configuration. Only have 2 tangs and 1 damsels in my tank, so I hope getting some Cleaner shrimp may help with ick.

Chiefmfuz, you have 2 in 24g?

Cleaner shrimp really do nothing for ich. They will pick it off the parasites of the tangs skin. But if he has ich he will not be cured by cleaner shrimp. If he has ich and you leave him in the tank you are risking infecting the other tang.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Cleaner shrimp really do nothing for ich. They will pick it off the parasites of the tangs skin. But if he has ich he will not be cured by cleaner shrimp. If he has ich and you leave him in the tank you are risking infecting the other tang.

I agree... Get him out as soon as possible... When ich goes into the next stage, you are going to have problems with all in the tank.

Build a trap out of glass and put some food in it. I always catch fish like this. If you want to come to New Rochelle, you can borrow mine.

Or, you can always use a hook...:)

Scion_TC2005

RALLIART 2009
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Love those Tangs

You should have at least one tang per 15 gallons. Tangs are active social creatures who appreciate the company of others so you should have about 5 tangs in a 75, preferably more. If you have too few they will establish a hierarchy and pick on each other.

I agree with you I have a 75 gallon tank with 7 Tangs all living together great. When I had 3 in there they would fight frequently when I add the other 4 All of them settle down and I noticed feeding time has become easy now. They all go nuts when food is dropped in.
As far as water quality. Ammonia is at 0 Nitrite is at 0, Nitrate changes from 15 to 30 depending when I do water Change which is about 10 Gallons every week to 2 weeks. I'm running two skimmers, (20 Gallon) Custom Refugium, Eheim 2227 Wet/Dry and the Eheim ProII 2028.
They will be moved with a years time to my 300++ gallons in Florida when it's is done being built.

cono

Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
I have 4 tangs in my 90 Yellow , Hippo. Purple, Sailfin they have been in there for about 3 months and they love eachother , The only thing is that they are afraid of my kids ( 3 Year old and a 19 month old) lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: