scunfcu

Reefer
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
How many Tangs in 75 Gallon tank? I have about 60 lbs of LR, placement of LR allows the tang to swim through the rocks and around to other side.

I have 4 inch Power Brown and 2 inch Yellow Tang right now in it. Like to get one more ( Power Blue Tang ) if possible. This is 48x15x18 75gallon ( STandard size ).

Will the 3 tangs fight?

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue and powder brown maybe a problem. Sometimes you will be ok. But these fish do get pretty big.. I would go with a no on this one just my opinion.

coralite

Jake Adams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have at least one tang per 15 gallons. Tangs are active social creatures who appreciate the company of others so you should have about 5 tangs in a 75, preferably more. If you have too few they will establish a hierarchy and pick on each other.

coralite

Jake Adams
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tangs in a 50 gallon might be pushing it, you'd probably want 5 or 6 to make sure they can school comfortably. If you have only three than two of them might pair up making for a third wheel tang and that would be awkward for all tangs involved.

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have at least one tang per 15 gallons. Tangs are active social creatures who appreciate the company of others so you should have about 5 tangs in a 75, preferably more. If you have too few they will establish a hierarchy and pick on each other.

I think this is incorrect. My opinion but If you have a powder blue and a powder brown they will fight because of there body shape. The yellow tang and the powder brown tang do not fight because they have different body shapes. another reason not to have 3 tangs to a tank is they get very large and a 75 gallon tank is not large enough to hold three large tangs. I think maybe 1 tang per 50 gallons with very few other fish. But this is and opinion. Also if you have more then one tang they have to be the same for example 3 yellow tangs good 2 yellow tangs bad. if this is not the general consensus please let me know. I dont know the rules on having 2 powder brown tangs and a powder blue. I dont know if that would work because they are the same body type. I dont know if they would actually school?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
cora not doubting you, know how involved you are in this, but if i had that many tangs let alone 1 in a 50g breeder they wouldnt take long to out grow it would they, really looking to add a small yellow tang

phk36

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I put two yellow and two purple tangs in a 90 three years ago. I only have one purple left. The strongest one will starve the others out over time. This took about eight months from start to finish. Pete

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think the schooling behavior and agressiveness is the arguement why you might want to keep multiple tangs in a tank, but the size of the tank is an issue that kind of flaws that arguement

I believe this would be very acurate in a larger sized aquarium where they were given an ample amount of swimming room but to have 5 tangs of any sort bouncing off each other in a 50 gallon tank seems a bit off.

Coralite-I definitly agree with your arguement just not in a 75, maybe a 180
As for tangs in a 75 I think a cpl when they are small is the limit, but my experience with powder blue's is that they are pacers in small tanks, just like gold-rim, achilles, naso etc. Small yellows and hippo might work better TEMPORARILY

Just my opinion and sure hell not an expert

JasonE

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
APRIL FOOL! You're slick Jake!

3 tangs in a 50 gallon might be pushing it, you'd probably want 5 or 6 to make sure they can school comfortably. If you have only three than two of them might pair up making for a third wheel tang and that would be awkward for all tangs involved.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
not for nothing and i know i really shouldnt keep a tang at all but do plan to try and find a small yellow tang. would never try to keep more than one in a tank my size, but you have people thinking or that wont recheck thread and will go out and put 5 tangs in a 75g tank

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
APRIL FOOL! You're slick Jake!

haha I forgot what day it was :splitspin

you had me :scratchch my head for a minute

my answer would be no tangs in a 75. I had 3 in my 120 and gave them away as they got larger. I would not put another one in, unless it was a juvenile and I had the same plans to find it a new home as it grew.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
not for nothing and i know i really shouldnt keep a tang at all but do plan to try and find a small yellow tang. would never try to keep more than one in a tank my size, but you have people thinking or that wont recheck thread and will go out and put 5 tangs in a 75g tank

good point Rick, we'll let Jake come back and put a disclaimer on his "advice"

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I can't wait to have a 220 or larger. A lady I know has 5 HUGE tangs (can't remember the type) in there and some other fish... The tangs are over 6" each. Sooooo beautiful. its at aquacorals.com

franknitti

HVRK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I played a few april fools jokes today myself and never put two and two together with this one ,I returned to this thread about 5 times wondering if everything I thought I knew was wrong,lol.

Good one

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: