marinelife

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some nice pictures of how my one tang has grown. It is a Blue Spotted Naso Tang
12-23-2000 - 1.5" - 2"
nasotang.jpg

7-20-2001 - 7" - 8"
nasotang6.jpg

I have more picture of it on my website and I will be adding more today. NASO TANG PAGE

imow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool fish...but its hard to tell the size difference without anything else relative....

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like someone to pipe up but is this not a baby unicorn tang. The unicorn tang gets huge, 16 inches fairly quickly. I have one in my FO and it has doubled in size in 4 months. Probably recommended at around 300 gallons.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked your website. You have 120 gallons.
Your tank is too small for this tang. Try to see if it will be OK in your 180 gallon with the other tangs.
Thank you

marinelife

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, The tang is not a unicorn tang. It would not be ok in the 180, I have enough tangs in there already, this tang gets 10-12 inches and most of the tank is swimming room. If in the future it gets to big for this tank and starts to look bad I will move it to the LFS that has bigger tanks, but for now I think the tank it is in will be fine, it started with me in my 75 and now gets to be in my 120 until I feel it is to big.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice.. thanks for sharing
icon_smile.gif

What a pretty fish. When I get something over 100 (basically out of an apartment), I'll look into learning more about them.
icon_smile.gif

Best wishes!

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, excuse me, but sometimes we always want to say plop fish into a 300g tank because that is how big they will grow ?? Some people actually grow (get larger tanks) with their fish.....maybe that advice could be more useful.

This could be a Naso vlamingi, I have one, it looks somewhat similar. However, there are many Nasos that look similar as juveniles, check out fishbase.org for naso species.

Mine has just moved from my 48g into 155g quarters. Frank Marini has one of these, and advises that they grow very slowly, which is fortunate for us who need to save for that monster tank.

icon_smile.gif

Mickes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Job... Looks like a very happy Tang!

Just have one comment:
Why is it that any question or comment about tangs it seem like it is a race to see who can be the first one to say "you need a larger tank"? marinelife seems to be proud of his tangs growth and wanted to share it with all of us. Which he should be and I'm glad he did. Apparently his tang is happy too.

BTW, I have a 10-11" Blond Naso in a 180g tank, but this is a custom tank and is only 42" long. So go ahead and let me hear it too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tang is a Lopez Naso Naso lopezi and is found on page 591 of Burgess's Atlas. We've gotten one or two in over the past few years but they don't seem to be that common. Absolutely fantastic fish however as they seem to be incredibly hardy compared to other Naso's. Max size is about 17 inches like most of this genus.

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: MickAv8r ]

Cruiser

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinelife

Really nice Lopez~Blue Spot tang
icon_smile.gif

Is the tang the dominant one.....any
pictures of full display coloration?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Just have one comment:
Why is it that any question or comment about tangs it seem like it is a race to see who can be the first one to say "you need a larger tank"? marinelife seems to be proud of his tangs growth and wanted to share it with all of us. Which he should be and I'm glad he did. Apparently his tang is happy too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best comment I have seen lately
icon_smile.gif

marinelife

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the dominant one, It is the largest fish in the tank, the other fish is a maroon clown, 4 striped Damsel, and two Mandarins. The color of the tang is not fully there, the tang usually does not have the fins up when I get close to the tank. So far the tang does not have to muh color, I have been working on pictures that better show the color it does not but to no luck. When I do I will let everyone know. Here are more pictures on my webpage.Naso

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: marinelife ]

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marty, to answer your question, some of us feel a Tang needs a large living area, some provide this for their Tang, some buy a Tang and provide it with what they have, IMO.
Steve

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with SPC.
Many reefers do not realize that a tang requires a large tank as they grow large and, by nature are swimmers and need the length a larger tank provides. They buy the tang before they know its requirements.

In spite of this, some reefers with small tanks buy tangs anyways.
icon_sad.gif

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small border collie. I live in a third floor apt with a balcony. Some may say that all border collies need to live on farms. I don't agree with this statement and I wouldn't keep any tang in a 40 g tank, but my fish and my dog are both doing well. Any blanket statement is wrong. My parents have 22 acres, but he has a wonderful life here. I knew all about border collies and fish, before I ever even looked at getting one and am proud of the things I've done.

As in politics, sports, and education; everyone has a stance (right wing, left wing, moderate), sometimes even a redwing.
If we all do what we feel, in good health of mind, is right and best for our fish = life is good. I think your lovely fish is fine in your tank until you see a problem otherwise. Best wishes.
icon_smile.gif

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quillen, why do you think it is alright to keep a border collie in an apartment? I can't imagine doing this myself and think it does border on inhumane. I realize you probably care for your dog and love it but there probably isn't a breed with a work drive as strong. What does it do all day when you are at work? I know a couple around my house that have a yard and were taking shifts walking it twice in each the morning, afternoons and evenings. I'm not trying to upset you but I'm really curious how such a dog would react to apartment life. I don't think you could have chosen a more unsuitable breed. A english mastiff would be way more appropriate.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You couldn't upset me, this is the internet, THANK YOU for proving my point though. You can see my boy on my webpage www.crosswinds.net/~quillen . My classtime goes from 8-noon most days, then I come home and we study together (on the balcony or at the park on nice days). He isn't even normally out of bed by the time I get home, but he has a lot of toys and access to the balcony. He is extremely well trained, he spent double the time locked in the house by my parent's schedule. He weighs 21 pounds and is full grown at 4-5 years. If you have any future comments, feel free to email me, since I never have my Levi in a fish tank
icon_smile.gif

(JUst made this comment to someone else... When you think Border collie, one may think Huge and Active. Levi isn't either, although he holds up well on camping trips.. I couldn't have a better apt dog. The same goes for the stigmatism that goes towards other things, like fish at times
icon_smile.gif
).

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: Quillen ]

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quillen, I think I may have missed your point and I certainly didn't know I was helping you make one.

You can make a huge difference with the life you give your dog. Despite an apartment with no yard you are able to take him out and excersise him. Your circumstances are better than most people who work.

Can't really take a tang out of a 40 gal and give it a walk can you?

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quillen, if we want it bad enough we can believe anything is ok. At one time very few questioned keeping Tigers in a cage, some still dont question it. I have no doubt that you love your dog very much and give him the best home you are able to give him at this time. I have never owned a Tang because I could never afford a big enough tank, I have had small freshwater tanks for about 15 years. Over all these years I would be at the LFS and think, someday I would like to have a salt tank with the kind of equipment that will give the livestock as natural a home as I can. Two years ago (at the age of 44) I finally had enough money to start a Reef tank. Now dont get me wrong, I wasn't poor, but with a family and life in general I didn't have the kind of money to start a reef tank and do it right. I started with a 55 and this year have moved up to a 180, and now I can start dreaming of the day I can get a 500 gallon tank.
Steve

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: SPC ]

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quillen the difference between keeping a collie in an apartment and keeping a tang in a small tank is that at least you can take the collie for a walk.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we want, we can judge others without seeing the situation, leaving them not knowing what they are talking about
icon_smile.gif
. This is the problem that leads to flaming and negativity. I find your comment very amusing. Tangs are not the only fish that swim in a tank. I play at the humane society and do active volunteering with animal rescue, Levi goes to SMSU with me, etc. If Levi was in a pitiful situation - Animal Rescue people would of commented while they were over for dinner, instead of cuddling with him. 100% of people who have seen Levi (vet, strangers, friends) have commented how well adjusted and perfect everything is. Feel free to apologize at your convience.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: