House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
All, I have been having a B**ch of a time with my float switch and it breaking siphon etc. I have shortened the length it pumps, lengthened it, changed the pump to be larger and smaller and still every now and again the siphon doesn't break and it puts about 25g of RO.DI into the tank - of course that screws up the salinity etc.

Now, I have been topping manually with the switch so that this doesn't happen and been doing so for a few weeks now -

My question is about getting a TUNZE Osmolator and the metering pump - does anyone have one of these? is it similar to a Litermeter? where it only puts in as much as needed? or does it just act like a powerhead? I'd hate to spend that kind of cash to be in the same situation and I really can't afford to spend the $300 on a new litermeterIII

Help ATO wizards :)

House

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
for the siphon problem why not just have the exit of the pump not submerged in ur sump and put the reservoir and pump inlet under the level of the outlet tube of the pump? wouldn't that break the siphon when the pump stops

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Jim,

How high up is your top off tank in relation to your sump?
Like Noodleman said the siphon should break if your ato hose pump isn't below the water line in yo sump. Try adjusting your float switch lower, also is there any snails that could be tripping the float, is your float switch covered for that?

Kelly

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Jim,
I've had three osmolators on different tanks over the years and it is hands down the best money I've ever spent on my tanks. Fool proof optical sensor and a back-up float switch as emergency cut-off makes for a safe top-off system. As soon as the sensor breaks contact with the water the pump turns on a tops you off, it's real easy to set up and requires minimum maintenace. I run mine thru my kalk reactor so it adds kalk to my tank as water evaporates.
F

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
All, thanks for the replies.

Kelly, here is the issue - its not about adjusting the water level its about stopping the water after the second switch cuts the pump out - see right now, my float has no obstructions and no issues about turning the pump on or off - it;s that the siphon (very rarely, but does) won't break and water keeps filling the sump - by the luck of whomever, when the water hits the ATO hose the siphon finally breaks but now the sump is mad full and just put 25g of fresh water into the system.

Here is text based schematic - 55g drum with fresh RO.DI - maxi1200 sits at the bottom of the barrel and a hose snakes out the barrel - it goes into a 1/2" pvc and goes up to the cieling 6' - goes across he cieling 4' - and back down into the sump 7' and ends about 10" above the water line (maybe 6"). So the issue isn't about turning off, itls about breaking siphon.

Litermeter's are paristalic pumps and when they turn off, they are off - no siphon - I am wondering if the osmolator pump is similar - otherwise I would get the siphon problem again.

:-(

House

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Can't you just elevate the 55gal drum a little? I believe the Tunze Om will back siphon

I used the LM and the Tunze. The LM is a work horse. It can pump water long distances with no problem. The Tunze can't push water as far but I like how precise the water level is and I like the high water alarm feature.

I would suggest you go with the LM because I don't think the Tunze will be able to push the water as far as you would like.

Kelly

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Jim,
From the description of your set-up I also don't think the Tunze will work for you, the pump isn't strong enought to push the water the distance your describing. For my set-up the water travels in more or less a straight path from the drum to the kalk reactor to the tank. Total length of travel is less than 8 feet.
Looks like you'll be looking for a LM....
F

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Jim, did you see the photo's in Grim's gallery? He had a copper testkit with a very high reading, and he also had a pic of a rusted osmalator pump??? I pointed it out to you on reef central and then Grim deleted the photos from his gallery? Weird...

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
House,

Did you ever solve this problem? I've been thinking about getting an osmolator also, did you ever get one?

The reason you're getting siphon is because your down pipe(7')is lower than the up pipe(6') sitting in the 55 gallon drum.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Have you solved it yet?

How about poking a small hole in your feed line, and wrapping a piece of foam around it. The water will run back down the tubing right in the tank. Sure, the pump will run a bit longer, but who cares-it's a mj1200.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: