fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
anyone? I've tried researching the subject but nothing seems to be available. The only information on captive breeding is breeding arctic krill where the water is close to freezing.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They're playing fast and loose with their names....or its just a spoof. My guess is that they are talking about red shrimp....the small ones that can live and breed in fresh or brackish water. The author may think that "krill" is simply a name for any small shrimp.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Most reefers feed Mysis shrimp, not krill.
Since krill is not used on a regular basis in a SW tank, no need for folks here to try and breed them to save money on buying them when you'd have to run a whole other tank, powerhead, do water changes and buy 'plants' for it and then buy food to feed the krill - so you can then feed them to your fish? Not worth the trouble.

Also please note the following from that 'article':
"Female krill lay eggs in the summer, and may lay up to 3,000 eggs per year" - Did you want to run that tank all year till summer to be able to use a food source that must be used while it is still in it's larval stage?

"Krill can live for up to five years if they're not killed" ...Really? Brilliant!

..a site like that is best used if you need to know how to install a doorknob...imo

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I don't think you would actually save that much. If you consider how a large package of frozen krill cost around 10$, it doesn't make much sense to rear krill to save money since the utlilities used to raise them will like end up adding up to the same amount of money. If they are looking to grow small meaty inverts, why not just use tiggerpods by ocean nutrition. With some micro algae and the large 1 gallon poland spring bottles, they reproduce like crazy.

GreshamH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've never heard of anyone trying, let alone succeeding in raising krill. I've also never heard of a LFS selling live krill for a starter culture. Sounds like a silly, uninformed article.

I used to work with a researcher that was able to close the life cycle of krill using our Instant Algae. Other them him I have not heard of anyone raising krill.

fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most reefers feed Mysis shrimp, not krill.
Since krill is not used on a regular basis in a SW tank, no need for folks here to try and breed them to save money on buying them when you'd have to run a whole other tank, powerhead, do water changes and buy 'plants' for it and then buy food to feed the krill - so you can then feed them to your fish? Not worth the trouble.

Also please note the following from that 'article':
"Female krill lay eggs in the summer, and may lay up to 3,000 eggs per year" - Did you want to run that tank all year till summer to be able to use a food source that must be used while it is still in it's larval stage?

"Krill can live for up to five years if they're not killed" ...Really? Brilliant!

..a site like that is best used if you need to know how to install a doorknob...imo

It's sad to see a popular information provider provide bad information. I can't help but imagine the many people who would follow that advice and kill their fish. I tried applying in hopes of at least providing better information but I got turned down. It would be nice to see proper information posted. Sigh.

fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The reason I'm wondering about krill is because the krill goes through a various different life cycles meaning different sizes. And there are a lot of finicky eaters who refuse frozen food at first, like lion fish (I guess?). So I thought if one were to breed krill it would help out the community and the finicky fish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: