• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
hi i'm a newbee here. J/K. i need an id on this hitchiker that came on a yuma rock. seems to be doing well, been in my tank for months now. when the lights go off the polyps retract and when the lights come on it extends. reminds me of a goniopora or alveopora.

DSCN1762_966064.jpg

DSCN1763_52764.jpg

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
definately not zoos. unless some zoos retract into rocks

i would have to eliminate alveopora/goniopora too, as the polyps don't extend as far as the ones that i've seen. plus the tentacles are pointy. not stubby.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
sorry but i disagree. my manjano move around all the time. i have three colonies of these things and not a single polyp has separated from the colony. when they retract there is a sort of mat on the rock

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
LOL. but it's not like a zoo mat where you can clearly see the polyps all closed up. it's a very thin mat but the polyps retract into the rock. hard to explain. i didn't have time yesterday but i will try to get a pic tonight

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Fricken Newbees...:arg: Specially this scarf-ace guy...sheeshh..:lol2:

It looks zoo-ish to me too...but then again im the guy with no tank...We need those retracted pics and they need to be about 100 times more in focus. Thank you very much.

Looks cool though. Are they that color??

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Do they resemble this Zoanthus species from the link I provided?

Coenenchymezoan.jpg

Excerpt: This recently imported Zoanthus sp. is unusual in that it has a very thick coenenchyme in which the polyps are embedded.

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
sorry dean nothing like it. i was gonna respond by saying the mat isn't that thick. i don't know if it should be called a mat. the polyps retract into the rock. what i call the mat is more of a very thin layer of flesh that surrounds the polyps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: