• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

farmertodd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely, that is also true
icon_smile.gif

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
It's the habitat exploitation without any seeming return besides "for the benefit of humans" that's frustrating.

Name one animal that does not change their environment for their betterment. Some are more sucessfull than others but that's Darwinian. Is it our duty as an enlightened species to moderate ourselves? I would probably say so.

I also hate the use of the world exploitation. It's up there with rape and abuse. It's a word that should not be used lightly and too often used in the wrong context.

Hey look.... I started a new tangent on something that has nothing to do with the topic.....

BAD BILL
BAD BIlL

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill
Exploitation, you are correct it is a bit extreme.
But what would you call bringing in beautiful Moorish Idol to sell to the unsuspecting reefers?

farmertodd

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill,

Would you prefer I used "Uncensored Resource Utilization"? I'm okay with that too
icon_smile.gif

You might note that I used the word "benefit", not "betterment". I think there's a vast difference between the two, as well.

Todd

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MaryHM:
<strong>
One thing I found highly interesting about this quote was the use of the "90% are dead in the first year" phrase that I've heard so many people say about the aquarium trade. I want to know WHERE IS THE RESEARCH??? Who is tracking these animals from collection to the one year mark and determining mortality?? Or are they just estimating a statistic to sensationalize the facts?? </strong><hr></blockquote>

These are based on respondent surveys. The statistics recorded are first pushed thru a "goodness of fit" test. I cannot find the current inssue but something on the order of 20,000 pet owners and stores commonly respond to such surveys when included in magazines such as Reptiles, etc.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the reptile hobby for 20 years and have only once owned an imported wild-caught animal. With impeccable care, it died after one month. I have never lost any of the 200+ captive bred ones I've owned.

Reptiles should not be banned, but their import should most definitely be banned. Seeing as the US is the largest consumer for wild-caught species, and that mortality from parasites and infestations is so high, I think it would only be responsible for the US to ban import. CITES is too slow to act in areas of special species concern and so far only Australia has intelligently repsponded to species decline by outlawing the export of all of their fauna.

I have never not been able to obtain any species I want in a captive-bred fashion, and with a much better chance of survival. I would readily lobby behind any such attempt to ban import of reptiles.

But it would be a cold day in Hell before I support a ban to reptile ownership.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: