• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

lukestro

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few points.

"No dripping sarcasm allowing- either for free or for profit"

WHAT???! Should we all wear Burkas as well? Flaming, that's one thing. But sarcasm/humor/jabs should not be outlawed! Here's an even better idea -> use tax dollars, spend millions, train licensed enforcers, and then pass a law stating that in order to use humor/sarcasm/dripping sarcasm in a discussion - we need to get a 'Humor License'.

"It is a shame that one of the largest reef sites on the internet does not take a stand to conserve the natural reefs but yet the people Admnistrating and Moderating want to make light of the over harvesting."

Kleenex please. What!? Admin isn't making light of harvesting! They make light of the fact that hurricanes, the food fishing industries, the fishers who fish for their families, sushi bars (yum), acts of God, Exxon, GNC (they sell fish products), holes in the ozone and global warming, and even that horrible natural selection thing --'the bigger fish eats the little fish, all add up to reef damage, and yet we get bent out of shape because we think the cause is our hobby. The numbers are bogus unless we factor damage done by anything having to do with the ocean. It is an impossible feat, therefore, claiming that the dying reefs are due to the fish hobby is a little on the extreme. Our hobby possibly accounts for less than one percent of any damage done.

"What does it say in your profile Bill about conserving reefs? Do you think that not taking warnings about reef degradation seriously is the type of leadersip that this site should be sending to its members? Most noteably as this site for many is the first time many have ever seen a discussion on the condition of those reefs regardless of who is to blame?"

OK, now it's technologies fault. We should institute a program that teaches newcomers to the web the pitfalls they may encounter, and the vicious lies that may be implanted into their minds by evil admin.! And, of course, require a $500 license to use the internet. SHAME ON THE ADMIN! I bet they kill innocent babies too.

"If this is true then why not "ban" 1/2 of the imports coming from Indonesia until the reef show signs of recovery?"

Lets ban tea while were at it.

"Please do not tell me that to meddle in other countries business is wrong as our governments do it all the time to "bully" smaller countries into doing what we want weather it is environmental, political or economical. This step would encourage countries which relied even in part on trade of coral for ornamentals to be a little more careful with pollution as well as collection methods.

And if they don't comply, we destroy them. Actually, I would agree with you here, on the basis that we "bully" them for an even somewhat explainable reason! Like, human rights violations for instance. I can see it now, "stop chopping off the hands of your citizens and..oh be nicer to the fish or we will stop buying them from you."

"ME:A license? Gotta be kidding me! I say that as respectfully as I can, but lets be realistic. Our government can't handle the war on drugs, and actually makes it a more profitable business. Our government in no way will be able to do anything to make any country crack down on it's hoby fish fishermen, and make them see the error of their ways.
"RESPONSE: I don't see why this is a difficult concept to grasp. Your barber is licensed. So is your local lawyer, accountant and real estate agent. Unions control participation in many occupations. Are there non-union shops? Sure. But when they become a noticeable blip on the radar screen, the unions mobilize to try and shut them down, or get them to be a union shop. So rather than calling it a "license," if that's so offensive, call it a "membership" (union) card. To buy saltwater critters you have to have a card, and you buy from membership stores, that get their stock from membership wholesalers - wholesalers or retailers who violate the "membership" (union) agreement risk sanctions (either pay the fines or get your membership revoked, and if your membership is revoked, the retailers won't buy from you (if you're a wholesaler), or you lose your window sticker and get your name on a "no longer a member" list so the local customers know (if you're a retailer)). Money can be a pretty strong incentive to stay within the rules."

I know you mean well, but a license to buy a fish? A sticker in your window, one you must pay for, to sell the fish? And when do we force persons to have a license to buy a hampsters, iguanas, rabbits, dogs etc. Why not license everything!

The Better Business Bureau is a "membership club" as you suggested. A struggling business owner must pay tons of money for a sticker in his window. Why? So when people want to complain about him/her they call the bureau and make a report. Of course, when someone is happy with a business, whats the percentage of those that call for a good report. And how often do YOU rely on the BBB. The Better Business Bureau serves no purpose whatsoever, just as a Tropical Fish Club (that a store owner would be forced to dump money into) serves no purpose. The money would go towards an overseer, then to the drones that stamp the licences and write reports, and then to the paper needed for the reports that would go into the (club paid for) file cabinet never to be seen again. Oh, and for that little piece of plastic allowing you to purchase a -fish- in this wonderful and free land we call, America. It's ok to cry everyone, let it out. Give it a good cry. Use all that red tape to mop up the tears. Oh no, the red tape is made of paper, which is made from trees, which monkeys swing on, therefore we need a license to own paper. I'll stop there. whew.

And no hard feelings everyone. Just a good old fashioned debate, mixed with a little dripping sarcasm.

Anemone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dr. Reef:
<strong>Respectfully, I don't think I've made any attacks. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I wasn't suggesting that you were. I believe that you see Cap's point perfectly, agree that he may even be correct, but disagree with him that just because our hobby's impact may be less (or even much less) than that of other activities on the reef that we have no obligation to do something (and I agree with you on this one). I was just trying to get Cap to see that his point was understood, so that we could maybe do without any more illustrative examples.
icon_rolleyes.gif

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dr. Reef:
<strong>Instead of accepting the trade impact by making it appear "small" in comparison, we should accept that it does have an impact, and as an American, I can't visibly impact issues like pollution/siltation or hot water in other countries, but I can help the U.S. stop importing certain species and help the reefs. </strong><hr></blockquote>

This was what I was trying to convey in the last few lines of my post. Thank you for saying it better!!

Kevin

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fishaholic:
<strong>I am extreemly amused by Bill and Mary countering by saying that CITES inforamtion is flawed, so lets just throw it out.</strong>

I never stated to throw it out I just stated that it was not very accurate due to the problems stated by me and others. Fishaholic can you tell me what exactly your significant other (or you) is going to buy at the local supermarket in 2 weeks and then break it down by food groups? I'm sure the list you produce will give you some indication of eating habits but will not tell be as accurate as getting a shopping list on the day of going. What if your first list said you wanted 5 cans of corn and the recipe you wanted to cook needed 6? Well sorry dude you can only buy 5 because that's what you said you were going to export from the store 2 weeks ago. Got my point?

<strong> It is a shame that one of the largest reef sites on the internet does not take a stand to conserve the natural reefs but yet the people Admnistrating and Moderating want to make light of the over harvesting.</strong>

If we were making light of these topics we would delete them off our BB as soon as we coule because it is a very touchy subject on all sides. My views are not necessarily those of reefs.org, I am an individule with individule ideas.

<strong> What does it say in your profile Bill about conserving reefs? Do you think that not taking warnings about reef degradation seriously is the type of leadersip that this site should be sending to its members? Most noteably as this site for many is the first time many have ever seen a discussion on the condition of those reefs regardless of who is to blame?</strong>

Is not dicussion the American way things are to be decided. That is what's great about a BB you can make your point I can make mine.

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: Fishaholic ][/QB]<hr></blockquote>

BTW all, bleaching showed up on the GBR this week, http://www.marine.uq.edu.au/ohg/gbr-2002/

jake levi

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that someone like AZPA(old name) is needed but, that said, they are also the worse users of imported specimens, its a quick trip to salt water hell for most imports.

The other concern I have is, the matter of political corruption in the bulk of the countries that most of our imports originate, having spent considerable time in the far east I would state that my experience is that I have yet to see a government organization there that isnt operated on massive corruption, nepotism and incompetence.

Of course that experience is limited to the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia.

These two factors are areas of major concern to me. Its an interesting idea, but, I dont see how it can be made to work.

I think the best target for us to shoot for is all captive bred and propagated species for our industry, produced in NA. Leave the rest in the wild.
jake

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill

You are an Administrater here, what you post is taken by most new members to be what reefs.org endorses, I fail to so how this is a difficult idea.

You have responded by giving half truths, only using parts of qoutes that make your point, is this how you teach also?

Mary allows people that favor unrestricted harvested to make any outlandish claim on the behalf of the hobby, but is quick to argue with someone that does not see things her way, is this unbiased moderating?

If you would like I can show you examples of both?

Simply put this forum has become a propaganda machine not an eductional forum.

dmentnich

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by petophile:
<strong>Actually, I would agree with you here, on the basis that we "bully" them for an even somewhat explainable reason! Like, human rights violations for instance. I can see it now, "stop chopping off the hands of your citizens and..oh be nicer to the fish or we will stop buying them from you." </strong><hr></blockquote>

You really believe that we only "bully" countries because of human rights? N.America sends trade missions to China and increases trade with them yearly weather they run over students with tanks or jail the innocent. We put in sanctions when we disagree with what the country is doing and it will not hurt our economy too much. Look at Cuba. America dislikes Castro so they put in trade barriers which do NOT make Castro suffer and have NOT caused his down fall over the last 40 or 50 years. If Cuba were a large trading partner I have no doubt that the sanctions would have been dropped long ago.

If we disagree with the way a country handles its reefs there is no reason not to limit our importation of animals from that country until they clean up their act. Many countries limited or refused Canadian soft wood to protest our management tequniques. Now that they have changed they once again allow importation. (The U.S. has put tarrifs on it for other reasons than environmental, but I won't go into it.) Limiting imports of a resource which is being mismanaged is not a new concept and we could easily apply it to corals/fish.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by petophile:
<strong>And when do we force persons to have a license to buy a hampsters, iguanas, rabbits, dogs etc. Why not license everything!</strong><hr></blockquote>

We license marriage, we license guns, in Canada we license gun owners, we license cars, we license industry and yes, we DO license dogs and even cats. Again, the idea of a license is not new.

dmentnich

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by fishaholic:
<strong>
Mary allows people that favor unrestricted harvested to make any outlandish claim on the behalf of the hobby, but is quick to argue with someone that does not see things her way, is this unbiased moderating?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry, but while it is true that she argues with anyone who disagrees with her point of view we are all guilty of that. I would not argue with somebody who is trying to make the same point as I am and I would doubt that you would argue with somebody who agrees with the points you are trying to make but both of us would undoubtedly go after somebody's figures if they did not support what we wanted to say. I would say that Marry is only being human and in a debate as touchy as this one it is hard to fault her for saying what she seems to honestly believe. Unbiased moderating? I would say that she leaves everyone to make up his/her own mind and everyone is free to call into question her information and disagree with what she says.

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by fishaholic:
<strong>Simply put this forum has become a propaganda machine not an eductional forum. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Perhaps, but it is a propaganda machine open and accessible to both sides. I will say that I agree with most of your posts- we should be doing more to decrease the impact on the reefs and captive raised is the way to go. With that being said i am realistic and know that we are a long ways from having a self-sustaing hobby and in the mean time it is good to see some people who are interested in a balanced approach. If Marry were the owner of one of the large chain stores and spewing propaganda I would be very upset, but being as she is an importer she simply represents what much of the industry may be thinking rather than directly using this forum as a profit generating device.

With all that being said, I cannot see why we would want Marry to stop posting just because she is a moderator. We all know that she is an importer and makes her money both off of captive raised and wild caught and she has stated her positions openly. Would it be any better if this forum were moderated by somebody who be lived in only using captive raised stock? You would still have Marry, Bill and many others who would still disagree with you and still post the same messages. I do not think that anything would change- everybody who posts has some influence on the thoughts and possibly actions of others.

I am not disagreeing with your point of view on the destruction which we cause, just disagreeing on the problems that you have with a moderator who represents the industry and who makes money off of wild caught specimens.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danny

It matters not to me if Mary and I see eye to eye on anything. We did not before she was a moderator and I doubt we will.

It is just that if you go through these threads you will find that if someone that agrees wih her says something not so nice to some one she does not, nothing is said.

Reverse the roles and she is quick to step in. This is the unbiasd part I spoke of.

The Conflict of Intrest is simple. If someone wants to post something about the reef being a sustainable resource that has no way of being verified, she asks for nothing.

Now someone wants to post something that suggests that it is only a matter of time that this resource is unsustainable due to the other influences that are causing reef degradation and the booming of this hobby and she will question everything you post.

Now if you were new to this board and felt you had something to contribute it is going to depend on what category of person you are as to if you even want to post.

If both sides got the same treatment we would not be discussing it.

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record, if reefs.org wanted an unbiased moderator to moderate this forum, they would have picked someone who does not have a connection to the industry. However, this forum was created so people can understand the industry point of view and discuss those issues whether pro or con industry. I am here to give the industry point of view and to make sure that all of you act like civilized adults, not to ride the fence on every issue and be unbiased. Everyone gets equal time here. I'm not deleting anyone's posts that disagree with me. And for pete's sake, the next time someone says that I support unrestricted harvest I'm going to hang them by their toes! That's such a ridiculous and untrue statement that I'm getting sick of having to defend myself on it. How many times do I have to say that I am not for unrestricted harvest?? Hopefully this will be the last.

leftovers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MaryHM:
<strong>...I support unrestricted harvest ... I'm getting sick of having to defend myself on it. </strong><hr></blockquote>

heh ok just kidding taken just a little out of context like much of the quotes and posts ive seen in this forum... apparently folks think that if you work in the industy you must have an agenda to push..well if you are phd in the field like wise your opinions will be taken to be that of a supporter of all Eco-warriors... so where is the middle ground? It seems to me that you get a moderator who understands the field and business...mary so far ime seems to fit the bill

Left

Mike King

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's a place you all can get some numbers on coral imports from.
Hope info can clarify some of the numbers I've seen thrown around here.
Mike

The UNEP-World Conservation Monitoring Centre (UNEP-WCMC) is pleased to announce a new database on the trade in aquarium species, the Global Marine Aquarium Database. This is available at http://www.unep-wcmc.org/marine/gmad

Users of the Global Marine Aquarium Database will have access to approximately 50,000 records of trade in live aquarium species and may query these geographically (e.g. the number of fish exported from the western Pacific to North America) and taxonomically (e.g. the top ten most traded families of invertebrates in global trade).

A more detailed description of the database and supporting project follows below. Further data collection is ongoing and the Global Marine Aquarium Database is continuously being updated, with the release of the next version scheduled for April.

Comments, and notification of any errors especially in the names of invertebrates, would of course be appreciated.

Best fishes,
Ed

Mike King

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishaholic, I just pasted info for this discussion board it isn't directly from Ed Green
The E-mail from Ed was just received this morning and again from coral-list about noon link may not be up yet I'll find out what's going on.

Mike

Bill2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fishaholic:
<strong>Bill

You are an Administrater here, what you post is taken by most new members to be what reefs.org endorses, I fail to so how this is a difficult idea.

You have responded by giving half truths, only using parts of qoutes that make your point, is this how you teach also?

Mary allows people that favor unrestricted harvested to make any outlandish claim on the behalf of the hobby, but is quick to argue with someone that does not see things her way, is this unbiased moderating?

If you would like I can show you examples of both?

Simply put this forum has become a propaganda machine not an eductional forum.</strong><hr></blockquote>

PFFFT. I do not need to defend myself. All my subbosed half truths have been based upon my experience and links I have made. And, if you Fishaholic, make one more reference to my personal life on this forum I will be forced to have to kindly ask you to leave reefs.org. You were warned once in this forum by Chucker and this is the second time by me. If you can only make your point by making personal attacks towards me or any other member of this community maybe reconsidering your choice to leave needs to be reconsidered again.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So was this for me or just to make you feel better?

You can do what ever makes you feel better!

Anemone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I visited it as well. A very good idea, but I'm not sure of the value of the incomplete data.

I checked the import details and the export details for Paracanthurus hepatus. The only exporter who reported was the Philipines, and they reported exports to 13 countries, yet only 4 countries reported importing hepatus (and only two reported getting them from the Philipines, and one of those countries, the United Kingdom, reported receiving 50 tangs from the Philipines, while the Philipines only reported shipping 44 to the UK).

I realize the info base is new, but I agree with Bill that there should be "pressure" applied to get as many importers and exportes to report their data, or it won't mean anything.

Kevin

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Anemone ]</p>

ChaoticReefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishaholic,
Noboby is compressing you for disagreeing, but your constant attacks are showing your true face, that you are here just to cause problems. Every post that Mary and Bill makes you come in and use your personal agenda to degrade them. It is getting tiring, so please stop.

Personally knowing Bill and Mary, you are way out of line for attacking their characters.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I question both of them coming here and presenting information that they present as fact when it is not.

I question someone who says that they are doing something in the name of conservation but if it is not profitable, conservation gets thrown to the side. More damage has been done by people who claim they represent the good of something than those who admit that what they are doing has nothing to do with conserving species and habitats. You may know them and think they are swell people, they are most likely fun to be around but the information they are providing in this forum is really not swell.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: