Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slim what part of the country are you from? Even in lovely socal where I can tell you we were hit just as hard as anyone else in the housing down turn we aren’t doing all that bad. And to also tell you we probably have the highest density of LFS anywhere. I believe at one point within a one mile radius we had three other stores and within five miles probably six or seven. Not to mention Marine Depot just moved to our neck of the woods (will call, free shipping, and no tax :S great).

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hang on to your hats for the summer slow down. I’ve already had a slow two weeks so its definitely going to hit harder then ever. What really sucks is started to see things really pickup in the last two months.

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My month is off to a good start, actually - special orders came in last week and once those things come in, that will put some nice numbers in the ledger for a change.

I do concur that summer usually equals the doldrums - but we've had quite a few people buying used tanks and coming to us for help getting them set up etc.

Last summer I experienced sort of a "Changing of the Guard" - same thing - people selling, others buying... starts it all over again. Looks like it's going that way again this year.

Jenn

MrPike

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its interesting to hear that its not a significant jump off a cliff like drop. It seems in every industry thats more of a "luxury," they have been hit tremendously recently. I wonder if the fact that reefkeeping is such a specialized hobby that it remains sort of stagnant, never huge increases or drastic drops.

We have recently begun actually trying to sell some of our stock. Its unfortunate that the timing is right when the industry is in its yearly down cycle.

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having my busiest week in recent memory, except when we had our anniversary sale in April. Shhh - don't tell anybody there's a recession going on... I'm riding the wave!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JennM":1lavxok1 said:
I'm having my busiest week in recent memory, except when we had our anniversary sale in April. Shhh - don't tell anybody there's a recession going on... I'm riding the wave!

Keep surfing Jenn :) We're on the wave right next to you :P

zooid

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Cap and Trade passes, there might be a small exodus of customers who like to buy SPS.
Running three 400W metal halide may become impossibly expensive for me. My fingers are crossed hoping
that Congress won't follow the administration over the cliff.

reefrash

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zooid":z24nfiwr said:
When Cap and Trade passes, there might be a small exodus of customers who like to buy SPS.
Running three 400W metal halide may become impossibly expensive for me. My fingers are crossed hoping
that Congress won't follow the administration over the cliff.

Worse case scenario you may need to alter you approach ;)

condiman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean I am getting more and more retail business since I sell my items less them most LFS.

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I spoke too soon. The month started out with a bang... then abruptly STOPPED. The last 10 days or so have been very quiet. Thank goodness for maintenance dollars that keep things moving. The month is still looking good because of the blip at the beginning of it, but I think the recent heat wave here has kept a lot of people inside. The whole plaza here is quiet, so it's not "just us".

That and with the shorter school break here, people cram in vacations - I know for mine, they start band activities in mid July so most of those kids and their families are gone now, while they can. They finish school at the end of May and go back beginning of August, so June & the early part of July is when people go places and do things.

At least our "summer doldrums" tend to end a bit earlier than many other places.

Jenn

JT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things don't seem too bad off up here in the North East. I've been in a few local shops lately and haven't heard any complaints. The Boston club seems to be doing well. I'm going down to see JeremyR later this week and see how he is doing. MACNA is up here in Atlantic City this year and the number of exhibitors so far seems pretty impressive to me.

All in all, not the best of times by any means. However, it's not the end of the world either.

treeman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a grower we have been picking up new customers on a regular basis. So we are doing better each month, recession hasn't hurt. But a lot of my long time customers are very slow and some have gone out of business.

swsaltwater

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more work than I can handle right now. I am looking for another service vehicle since I have taken over so many accounts from a competetor. All the stores around here sell questionable products so upgrade sales are a must. Top fathom and supa skimmers woohooo!!!! Drives me up the wall. I am wondering if anyone here ever tried the Scion XB for service???? I am thinking a little more beefy spring and it would carry 40 gallons. I love my Chevy Van 1500 but gas saving for the smaller tank services might be a plus.

I am getting daily walk in from all the other stores in town and they are loving the prices and selection is increasing as we tranship more and more(most stuff dry and wet are below Race's prices now since we buy most direct and am picking up more and more lines as I go),

Competition has resorted to bad mouthing me to all their customers and they are all telling me what is said. "Copper in the tank is bad for the fish, they leach it out their skin back in to your tank, etc......." My fish are better thats why they are 6x more than anyone else" Course I buy from Quality on the fish, not transhipping there yet and with no copper lots have gotten buy one get the ich free special from them.....Pretty classless stuff as well I care not to post here cause they are flat out lies and personal to boot, I really can't believe someone would go so low in front of customers as to discuss personal stuff about another store they don't know about or flat out lie about copper killing their tank after leaching out of the fish among other things(the customers all realize his suppliers all use copper as well lmao). All I can respond is that I have never heard more lies come from any retail business ever.

reefrash

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
swsaltwater":3sfv68ui said:
I am wondering if anyone here ever tried the Scion XB for service???? I am thinking a little more beefy spring and it would carry 40 gallons. I love my Chevy Van 1500 but gas saving for the smaller tank services might be a plus.

I looked into the Scion, for me though as an exclusive service vehicle I needed something that can carry a 6' tank and stand, the Scion seemed to have more than enough pep to get the job done. Of course my last vehicle was a ' 91 Toyota p-up with over 200,000 mi, so anything is powerful compared to that :lol:

I wound up buying a Nissan Frontier, they're giving those things away and ~24 mpg ain't all that bad either.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be a little pricey, but the Dodge/Mercedes Sprinter is a fabulous vehicle. I can carry two FULL pallets inside and still have room to spare, not to mention still be able to pass people on the highway uphill. We get about 24-26mpg and unlike most large vehicles, it can turn around on a two lane road with room to spare AND it's not top heavy. A real pleasure to drive I must say :)

mercedes_benz-sprinter.jpg

Oh, and we can haul 8 people and a half pallet no problem :D

swsaltwater

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into the sprinter, got a Ram 1500 Hemi for tanks and large stuff and a large Chevy Express van. I just picked up to many service accounts that we can not get to them all ina month. Wanted something small for wipedowns and small changes so i can hire a second service guy.

RasBobre

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SSSCCs-1.jpg

I use a 2007 Chevrolet Express AWD. Wish I could afford the Sprinter. For pretty much all American vehicles, I recommend Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, ID for new car sales. I carry a 220 gallon Ryan Herco water tank and have an additional 4X4 space for additional items.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See where Rob lives...who said there is no money in service :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: