bigsink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
469   0   0
My tank has just completed cycling and the clean-up crew has been in for a week. The tank is a 75 gallon with 2 175 watt 10000k MH XM bulbs. The water parameters are ph 8.1, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 0, salinity 1.025. I believe that I am ready for coral. What would be my best bet for first corals? I am open to all suggestions. If anyone has anything available, that is good as well.

bigsink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
469   0   0
Kathy, I did the readings 2 days ago for Ca and Alk before a water change and cannot remember them. They were in the acceptable range. I will post them when I look at my log book this evening. I am not interested in any mushrooms. Was hoping for hammer, torch, or frogspawn. Not a huge fan of colt or leather, but if you guys think those are the best starters, I may go in that directions. Kathy, once I confirm that my tank can be maintained at an appropriate temp through July & August I would like to try some SPS and add a Tridacna.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The choice is yours John, you don't have to start with are perceived as 'easy' corals..only to have to change them out later to what you want the tank to ultimately be.
Of course there are things that you have to wait on until your tank is more stable and mature, but you can start with the things you have on your wish list like the hammer and the frogspawn.

Are you getting a chiller?

bigsink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
469   0   0
Hey Kathy, to add to the list of water parameters the Ca was 405 ppm and the KH/Alk was 7.7 dKH and 2.74 meq/L on the Salifert test kits. I will not be getting a chiller. I am going to try a 9000 BTU air conditioner in the fish room this summer accompanied by fans. If I cannot keep the temp reasonable, a chiller it will be. Do you run a chiller?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
My bigger tank was only put up last August and I had no heat issues then..but this year might be a whole different story. Have had success so far keeping the temp in check with fans blowing on the DT & fuge..but I am looking to get a chiller... when I find one at the right price...wish me luck! :)

The KH/Alk are a little on the low side, are you dosing? What kind of salt are you using? (just curious, your numbers are almost identical to mine. I just started to dose again last night as my Magnesium was on the low side too)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: