BD_Reefing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
71250a609acf61421d6882d4932e5799.png

This person sent me a PM, with an out of state or internet number. Don’t fall do it !!!

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
MR has to start doing something about these scammers I don’t think anything or very little is being done to stop or keep them away.
Although I can’t tell what every mod does, I’d guess that we delete at least 5 scammers/spammers a day!
If you see something, say something… we’ll try to remove them asap!

lovefish77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Will do. In my opinion MR should develop “new member rules” where they have to be in the forum( contributing ) for x amount of days prior to being able to post at the a for sale or WTB Thread.

Also having to have x amount of to PM Other members
Reef2reef has this. You have to have x number or posts or like 30 days before you can hit the buying/selling part

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Yes Iknow, and I believe it works well.
Does it really? Highly doubtful. Scammer are always going to fine away, especially since a lot of people see an unbelievable deal and don't use common sense. They give out personal info and send money to people that they don't even know.

People that are getting out of the hobby, and aren't part of MR, come here to sell off what they have, letting members get good deals on equipment and livestock. Because of this MR lets people sell what they have without setting a minimum amount of posts, or a time frame, before they can sell. You also need to understand that MR is local, Tri-state area, and most of the items for sale here are picked up, as opposed to other side where they items have to be mailed. That being said, people need to use some common sense.

As Alfie posted, if you suspect someone of being a scammer, then alert MR, we will remove them asap.

BD_Reefing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Lol, yes I do agree that members have to be better aware of who they make transactions with But a lot of People getting into the hobby don’t know how things really work when it comes to trading or buying both corals or equipment off online source. Hence deterring new members from joining our community. Yes it does suck having to wait in order to be able to buy or sell but it gives new members a chance to actually explore the forum, learn the hobby and ask questions.

Again this is just my opinion as a member of the hobby. I’ve met local hobbyist that don’t really know about the forums and the benefits they offer. Would hate to recommend the forum to someone and they get scammed out of money. We all know this hobby is expensive and it just bothered me to have guys here taking advantage of people that don’t know better.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: