• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I am having MAJOR problems. First, my power dies and my pumps go down. I clean my Gen-X MAK 4 and when I reconnect it, it "blows up" on me, and the bulkhead in my "thrown together" sump starts leaking.

I NEED HELP! Anyone here have a used (good) sump they are willing to sell and help install? I need a return pump with that by the way. Also, I am using an older ETS protein skimmer with an Iwaki 55-RLT, so the sump must already have a bulkhead to accomodate it, unless it also has a decent downdraft skimmer that fits under my tank.

My tank is a 180Gal with 2 corner overflows and 2 returns. The returns are plumbed together to the Mak-4. The Iwaki goes straight from a bulkhead in the sump and at the other end is connected to a piece of flexible PVC to the ETS skimmer which sits outside of the tank.

My wish list for a sump/return:

1. Must have a baffle (Prevent bubbles from getting to the return)
2. Must have easy access for cleaning
3. Must have some kind of "poly bag" or "filter" to collect ditritus, which I can clean out a couple of times a week.
4. Must be between 20 and 40 gallons.
5. The return must be rated at least as good as the previous Gen-X MAK 4, this is the only water circulation I use.

Right now my 180Gal is surviving because I have a VERY SMALL fluval (submergible) canister filter which I loaded with carbon and have pumping air into the water.

PLEASE CALL ASAP if you can help. I can have someone pickup the sump and any other equipment tomorrow.

-Alfred
917-287-5512

BTW: Ari has offered me an Iwaki 55-RLT, he has been a real nice guy, and between all of the emergencies of the last couple of days I owe him a call and an appology for not getting back to him.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Alfredo,

You can jerry-rig a 20 gallon tank with your overflows and get a powerhead at the local pet store to pump the water back into the tank as a temporary measure.

You can baffle the 20 gallon tank with acrylic and make as many compartments as you need - skimmer, sump, refuge etc.

Good luck with it.

Jim

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: