FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
This is FREE to all who are willing to go out & catch some! I hear reports of people netting butterfly fish & frags of corals from Longbeach, LI.

Reports are from more than 1 person. Has anyone else heard about this, or seen this first hand?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It quite common this time of year, end of the summer, to have fish that come up with the jet stream and the warmer water from the Cariban and Florida and get stuck as the water gets colder, making it easy for people to net them out. Butterfly and Queen Triggers seem to be the most common fish caught. I've seen many fish caught around the Verrazno bridge and areas in NJ and off of Brooklyn. There is a reef in Long Island, I think it's call the Manhattan Reef, and actually has anemone, inverts and other reef type fish.

Some people say they caught fish also off of the Brooklyn bridge but I'm not sure about that.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Fastuno, there are many small butterflies around in our area this time of the year. I used to catch them all the time in my killi (bait fish) traps. If you look on the LIRA website you'll see a few PICS of the butterflies. I would imagine acclimation would be very difficult since the SG of the water in our area is approx. 1.016ppt @ 70 degrees

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: