• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that is regularly being done in the industry that is illegal is that fish are being caught in Philippines and Indonesia with cyanide. That is against those countries laws. Since I don't import fish from those countries, I guess that means that Fishaholic is willing to "defend my right to do as I please under the law". Nice to know that we are on the same page after all!
icon_smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBA: I have been in waters from jacksonville south on the east coast and from tampa south on the west coast and have seen octocorals in every area. The only area that tends to be differnt in collection laws is monroe county and thats due to the large ammount of people that visit the florida keys. This is also due to all the state parks that reside in the keys. It only makes sense that laws would be stricter in an area that gets 4 to 5 times more fishing/collecting than anywhere else in the state.

Cappuccino Bay Aquarium

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked and I see no stricter commercial laws in the keys then elsewhere?There seem to be certain areas that are no take. 400 condys per day, Pint of bluelegs and NO LIMIT ON OCTOCORAL?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBA

It may be worth a phone call before a drive fro Atlanta to the Keys. I dive this area and can assure you the regs change when you get to Marathon and change again when you get further down ad change again 5 miles out. Just trying to save you some frustration when you get down there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CBA here is the number to the rangers station at John Pennekamp (305) 451-1202. They should be able to give you a phone number that you can check the current regs, they may know them theirselves depending on which ranger you are speaking to.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave: There are a few laws that are different in Monroe County (Florida Keys) and then there is a specific set of regulations for john pennekamp and the couple other state parks scattered throughout the keys. These areas will be designated on a navigational map. Federal waters begin at 3 miles out on atlantic side and 9 miles out on gulf side.

CBA: Those limits only apply if you have a commercial fishing license. if you dont I believe it is 8 octocorals per day for recreational.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris

In the park grounds and 300 feet around all marked reefs is a no-take area period. The rangers and some of the dive shop employees at pennekamp are very knowledgeable of the collecting laws and regions outside of the park. Also Monroe County (Florida Keys) has different regs for different regions. The rangers at pennikamp have always been very helpful when I go down there to dive.

Cappuccino Bay Aquarium

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just back from Fla, Bomber ?how does one get across the road in the keys? Or do you have to be born on that side? And Why does Lake park city have a Cigarette Expo?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: