Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sherwin Williams SPAR.

thats all I can say d00d..... and about 4 coats. That plywood is a sponge when it comes to saltwater.

I assume that center brace is getting removed ?

You could cut it to length and fit it INSIDE the railing, so as to not have that gap sticking out and then ply over the entire lenght and have more secure screw points. DO NOT JUST RELY ON WOOD GLUE ! you need some drywall/ wood screws and pre tap the holes to eleminate splitting. Seal over them with silicone so you can still remove them if necessary OR fill them with wood putty before staining and laquering the wood.

of course that is provided I understand your plan so far .

Hoods (nice ones built to last ) take time and a lot of effort YES YES ?

hehehehehehe.....

[ July 08, 2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Dave ESPI ]

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks guys!

Dave, I am keeping the center brace, I know it looks weird, but my plans were a little backwards.......(ok I admit it, I am winging the whole thing......
) But I guess it will make more sense when I am done.

I got MinWax Spar Urethane, Kilzn (not sure if that's how you spell it) interior/exterior primer, and exterior white paint. What is the order that I put these things on? I know people say the paint will protect the wood, but should I put the urethane on the wood and then paint, or paint and then the urethane......or neither? Like Dave said, this is plywood and white pine, so I want to protect it as best as possible. Thx

Rebels23

[ July 08, 2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Rebels23 ]

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stain it. let it dry.

Seal it. Use a light coat. Let it soak into the wood, then re apply a coat in 10 minutes that is also light, yet generous.

Wait 12-14 hours. Add another coat of sealer. This one is heavier.

wait a FULL DAY. if it is tacky, wait another day.

THEN, lightly rough the surfaces of the sealer with 100 grit sandpaper. Re apply sealer.

wait 2 days. sand blemishes, drips, high /low spots with 220 grit paper.

re apply a final thin coat of laquer.

let it dry.

PAINT the hood of desired with enamel or spraypaint Acrylic Enamel. DO NOT USE KETONE BASED PAINTS ! they will eat and disolve the laquer over time and NEVER fully dry ( tacky finish)

other than that.... is a learning curve....

the more hoods you make the better you get ;)

ps: I'm up to # 48 for reefers around the web :D

my hoods are prized for sure ;) (so I'm told)

and Autographed for athat added flair.

HTH.

PS: screw yer hood up, and I WILL laugh at
your feble attempt mere Mortal !

Warrrr-bbwahhhMMMWEERRRRRhahahhahaha !

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Thanks,

ESPI - Hood pics are in the gallery here -

Finished painting and installed the brand new halide retro-kit - fired it up , man that thing is freakin bright!!!!

Should have some final pictures soon- again, I'll post them in the gallery here.

Should be setting the tank up tonight or tomorrow - can you say sand cloud!

See ya!

House

Toe'Knee

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<center>
New_Hood.jpg
<CENTER>

I know it isn't eye candy but its working. I didnt like the way one of the 13w PC was looking in the 2.5 hood and I couldnt find a hood that would house both PC's. So while hanging out at work I found this Aquarium Test Kit box and it fit perfect so I took the top off and popped the lights it ;) perfect fit. I didnt have a drill or anything to drill the holes in for the screws so I used a knife, and a screw driver. I'm going to try and put fans in it and then spary paint it black to match the tank...but its working great right now.

Dave ESPI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rookies... sheesh...

LOL

Nice hood. you could add in some baffles on the hinged areas, and they would block that light from creaping through the cracks in the opening parts.

also using a foam sealer strip ( self adheasive) will cut down on light bleed.

Just a helpfull tip. ;)

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Rebs,

Look nice - good lighting. I thougth about Dave's response before in past designs but was worried about if the stripping would hold up in the salt environment - so I chose to let it bleed :)

Well, my tank is almost completed - migrating all the livestock as we speak - slowly but surely it'll all be done. I will post some new pictures this week.

Now you have to get yourself some corals.

Catch ya later on

HoH

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: