nala

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
icon_eek.gif

OMG...I can't believe this thread is 5 pages long
icon_confused.gif
I just went back to page 1...sheesh all he did was post a picture of his cool fish
icon_rolleyes.gif
Did I miss the part where he asked anyone for their opinion or advise? Some of you may have very valid points...however, they are most likely lost in this REALLY long FLAME filled thread
icon_sad.gif

At this rate we are never going to learn anything new
icon_sad.gif
Everyone who has had success with this or that will be afraid to post because of the know it alls who troll the boards disguised as "helpful members" who "don't mean this as a flame but...". Please refer to page 1 the first post...he JUST posted a PIC of his fish
icon_mad.gif

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: nala ]

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,

Everything you say makes sense if you weren't talking about conspecifics that are known to have problems. Everything I've read on tangs has a warning about Zebrasoma species.

You are an exception not a rule.

Nala,

This thread has some good information and for the most part people have discussed the thread rationally. I think I'm the only exception to that. The fellow that started the thread is not being "flamed". I think a few people, myself included, have mentioned what good looking fish he has. He also recognizes the possible size of his fish and has the resources available if he needs to move it. What contribution have you made to the discussion with your response?

6_line

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regardless of what has been posted and said, there's always going to be the uninformed or naive novice who tries to put a Powder Blue tang in a 29 gallon. This is the individual who relies solely on inadequate and incompetent LFS sources (not all LFS's are this way, mind you, but the majority are)and perhaps an outdated book or poorly written, obsolete article somewhere.
At least with the internet and discussion groups such as Reefs. org, RC and Aqualink, people can begin to get a grasp on some of the preferred and proven requirements of many of these creatures.
At the very least, the person will get the extremes of each instance, although the low extreme of any reefer who peruses these boards hopefully wouldn't stick a tang in a tank so small and then there are the conservative views that condemn placing such a fish in anything smaller than a 180 gallon.
Hopefully, most newcomers and experienced alike will find a happy medium somewhere in between. It's often far out of one's grasp to be able to muster up enough finances for a full blown 220 gallon reef, and they find themselves at the lower end of the large scale, resting somewhere between a 75 and a 125 (mind you, these are just the common sizes). Which, in my opinion, is a far better circumstance than the former instance. I find myself in that catagory. I still love Tangs and I'll place one in one of these low end large scale tanks (a 90, hopefully soon) but in the end, it'll receive unconditional care, feedings, tankmates and conditions as similiar to their natural environment physically possible in such an enclosed system.
Remember, those here who lurk through these internet posting are a minority; someone is buying all those Tangs, Mandarins and Gonioporas and Cleaner Wrasse you you arriving every week in the LFS in every niche of the country (and world)--and I guarantee you the vast majority haven't even used a search engine to check on the requirements of the animal nor posted a question prior to buying.
So, I'd suspect we're in as good of a boat as any...

chris1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy all of my fish VERY small. When I bought them, both my Yellow and the Purple were somewhere between the size of a quarter and a 1/2 dollar. They were both the smallest that I had ever seen. My main reason for this is that I believe that the younger you get a fish, the more adaptable to situations and surroundings they are. My hippo, when I bought it was the smallest one that I have ever seen. It was probably about the size of a nickel. Maybe this has something to do with my success? Maybe the teritorialism between species is a learned behavior in the wild rather than an inbuilt instinct? Who knows.

I guess the general point of all of my ramblings here is that today we are doing things in the reef hobby that a few years ago were never thought possible. When I got into the hobby, you HAD to have a bio ball tower, and a UV Sterilizer. No one used to think you could keep SPS and Clams, etc. There are no absolutes in this hobby. The longer I am in it, it seems the less I know. As Teri said, the original poster just came on to share his individual success. Then within a few posts some fool dug into the original posters information for the sole purpose to find out what size tank he had and throw out the criticisms of his tank being too small.
icon_rolleyes.gif
My point is, every day we are learning more about proper husbandry of these critters, and blanket statements like that are rediculous.

c

loosbrew

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Is my Tang in a 40 gallon tank any more crowded than Shamu is in his swimming pool? Not to mention that he shares it with Nanu and Mamu.

it doesnt mean you should still put a tang in a cramped environment.

didnt want in on the arguement but this statement doesnt make sense to me.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, I said that I would not post again to this thread but unfortunatly you made a statement which requires me to address. That fool you referred to is a very valuable part of this board. He cares greatly about marine life, something this board seems to have less and less of. I asked for some experienced hobbiest to come into this thread to help in the discussion, you see how many participated? Thats because there not as many posting on this board because of people with this anything goes attitude. I have a suggestion for you, if you really believe in your methods, why don't you start a thread on reef central asking for the 10 and over people only to participate, and run your ideas past them, you know like your stocking advice and that there are no absolutes. I will be checking RC daily and look forward to it.
Steve

chris1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPC,

First off. The "fool" comment wasnt meant directly towards naesco. It was a general statement. I see posts like this all the time asking a question or making a statement. Then someone posts something that really has nothing to do with the original post, because they think that they know better than the original poster.

Anyway, after reading it over again, I see how it looks like a direct slam on him specifically, but it wasnt intended that way.

Also, what is my "stocking advice"? In my posts you never saw me tell anyone how to stock their tank. Other people were the ones who did that. All I did was share my personal experience has been.

c

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is important to remember that good advice CAN be given gently. Attacks on new people only scare them and other lurkers away, and they become afraid to ask their questions. If they do not respect the giver of the advice, they rebel.

Who wants to be the first to admit they have not made mistakes ? Help others learn to correct their mistakes in a caring fashion. Direct your anger elsewhere. At least, this can help some of the open minded knowledge seekers.

jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my Tang in a 40 gallon tank any more crowded than Shamu is in his swimming pool? Not to mention that he shares it with Nanu and Mamu.

Relatively speeking, can't my Tang dive deeper and doesn't he have further to swim to the surface than Shamu does?

Did they think to give Shamu any live rock and places to hide in when he feels insecure?

6_line

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have any proof regarding the mixing of Zebrasoma species of Tangs, however, Chris isn't the only exception, I believe. I have seen websites of other reefers with a mixture of the two and I believe certain constituents of the equation make it possible.
One would be having the fish together at juvenile stages where they have always been in each other's company. They are different colors although they are the same genus, but species may play a part here. Also, they are in an aquarium environment where certain aspects of their personas have to be changed somewhat from the wild.
As was discussed before, many traits recognised in the wild aren't as prevelant in the reef aquaria because of the absence of many of the variables.
Now, I definitely wouldn't recommend this combination for anyone; whether it was something Chris did intentionally or due to inexperience/lack of knowledge (at the time of the actual move, not that you're that way now
icon_biggrin.gif
) or if it was an experiment because he wanted the two tangs and he had thought the concept might be possible.

phishy4

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing thats got to be the stupidest in all of this Is the way these tangs cant be put into 180 gallon tanks they need 1000 gallons because they come from the great big ocean where they cover huge terrotories. WHAT ABOUT EVERY OTHER FISH?? Lantern you should probably not keep any fish in your 155.
All fish are naturally from much bigger areas than 155 gallons of water. Every time I want a bigger aquarium I got to the public aqurium and look at tangs living in 750,000 gallon tanks. So 40-155 who cares.

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinelife
I finally found the site that lead me to believe I had a 'baby unicorn'.
I think we both might have a naso vlamingi which is a unicorn tang. It grows to about 24 inches.
I am wondering how you ID'ed yours as I am very interested in properly ID'ing mine?(not a flame).
If it is indeed a Vlamingi tang it apparently has great value as it will turn into a spectacular, somewhat unique fish

marinelife

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found mine in a few books, mine looks more like a lopez tang. a Vlamingi Tang has blue spots on its entire body. Mine only has blue spots on his front and from my understanding get to be one ugly fish. If it does each 24 inches then I will be finding it a new home but from my understanging the one I have will only get about 12 inches, but I will not know until it gets there

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. Mine is definitely a vlamingi tang then. It has bright blue dots all over its body and bright blue lips.
I can't wait until it grows up.
I found a picture of it as an adult but do not know how to post it off the internet.
If you do would you kindly post it as I am sure there are a lot of tang lovers out there who would like to see one.
Thank you
icon_smile.gif

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you send it to me, I can post it... I have a picture of what is suposed to be an adult, but the body looks different - so I don;t think it is the same fish.

Mickes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a pic of a Vlamingi Tang that Quillen posted? WOW!! That is one sharp looking tang for sure.

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Naesco it is
icon_smile.gif

It came off the webpage that he indicated above, if you want to go look around more.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: