0   0   0
very beautiful..
bigfish.jpg

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Quillen ]

jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a federal government program to tag reef fish with transmitters so that we can track how far they travel during thier lifespan. Only then can we determine the proper size tank for each species of reef fish.

Until this is done, we will never truely know if a 40 gallon tank is more detrimental to the Tang than is a 100 gallon tank.

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinelife, so you and I might have the same type (whatever the heck that is......). Question: did yours have this crescent shape on his body, I can't recall from his baby pics. Mine definitely did.

tn_Nabre_u0.jpg

How big is yours naesco ?

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang issue is probably the most debated thing in the hobby. I once saw a post by some guy from Singapore with 5 tangs in a 65 gallon aquarium, and there are some people who think tangs should NEVER be kept in a tank of any size under any circumstances.

IMO, the bigger the better for tangs. Why settle for the minimum recommended size? Yellow tangs, for example, grow HUGE in 1000 gallon tanks, but are stunted in most tanks, like 40-120. Tangs really love to swim, and since most other fish we keep don't present such space demands, most people don't have great big tanks.

I had a yellow in my 70. He was fat and healthy but didn't seem happy in there. I also wanted to grow caulerpa, so I took him back to the LFS.

We talk so much about keeping animals healthy, but what about keeping them happy??? Sure, an elephant might be healthy on 20 acres with a watering hole and *lots* of food, but would it be happy? The same goes for a 3 ton orca at a public aquarium, or a polar bear in a zoo.

I think a large indoor pond would make more sense for tangs than a rectangular aquarium. Maybe an 8' diameter circle 3' deep. I still wouldn't put certain species in there.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigtank, what if that tang you pulled out of your 70 gallon and took back to the LFS was resold to a owner of a 45 gallon? Kinda makes you think
icon_smile.gif
No flames here
icon_smile.gif

jethro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im working on converting my basement into a reef aquarium. I am going to put in a poured floor and then custom install swimming pool liner around the walls an over the floor. This should be well over 10,000 gallons when finished.

My tang should be happy there.

I need to come up with plans for filtration. I am planning to use my neighbor's basement for the sump.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave, by purchasing it to begin with he was supporting the importation of more to go into even smaller tanks. I was at the LFS yesterday and a guy was buying two yellow Tangs to go in his new 29 Eclipse.
Bigtank, if you read these posts I am sure you saw were there are some that think all marine life was put on earth for man's pleasure to do with it as he feels.
icon_sad.gif

Steve

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jethro
If you fill the bottom with sand and seed it, you will kill two fish with one spear. It will help to secure the liner and provide filtration. Lighting Man, Lighting is the next step
icon_smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve
I know what you mean. Ivy and I stood behind a elderly couple today that bought 1 maroon clown, 1 watchman goby, 2 chromis, 1 cleaner shrimp for their 30 gallon. I was talking with the gentleman who ws along for the ride. We were talking about how relaxing the tanks are except when you think of the expense. He nodded and wispered yea, more so when these are to replace the ones that died.

who knows what else is in that 30, at least these were appropiate size fish
icon_smile.gif

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"How big is your Naesco?"

Mine is about 6 inches. It is bigger than Marinelife's and mine as blue dots all over it.
icon_smile.gif

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinelife did you see the picture of an adult lopezsi tang. Pray that the spots on your tang start moving all over the fish!
icon_wink.gif

bigtank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
naesco,

I sure wish I had a Vlamingi. So beautiful.
icon_smile.gif
They need a huge tank and then some though, plus they cost a lot themselves.

Fishaholic,

They have a maroon in a 30? Mine takes up almost half my 70 (territorial). He would wreak havoc with other fish in a 30! Too cool though.

Hopefully all tang species will one day be available tank-raised. I believe they would be happier in aquariums than wild ones, having never been in the vast ocean.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by naesco:
<STRONG>"How big is your Naesco?"

Mine is about 6 inches. It is bigger than Marinelife's and mine as blue dots all over it.
icon_smile.gif
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Less than six inches can be a problem
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
I would seek immediate medical help, the blue dots sound serious
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif
With all these manly problems I am sure it does make you feelbetter thinkng someone is smaller
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishaholic, LOL !

But the white crescent shape on the body of the pictured fish (which is a brevirostris BTW) neither one of you (naesco, marinelife) has seen this on your fish ?

Mickes

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quillen:
<STRONG>It came off the webpage that he indicated above, if you want to go look around more.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wish I could, but wishing only helps soo much.. I just have very limited access here..

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emily
mine looks a lot similar to yours except she has blue dots all over her body, not just near the face areea. Also she has bright blue lips. Marinelife felt that that was a distinguishing factor. Any ideas.
Mickes you can do to the search function and type in naso lopeszi; not a pretty fish; knda ugly to be honest.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: