masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I'd like to take a moment to thank Sanjay for extending his gracious hospitality and giving us a personal tour of his amazing reef, both at his home and at Penn State University. We had an opportunity to view an unbelievable number of rare and LE corals :biggrin:

Here's a very brief and unjust pictorial of his home system. Believe me when I say, the pix do ABSOLUTELY NO JUSTICE to the colors in his display.

Thanks again Sanjay, and without further ado...............

Attachments

• center-right.jpg
    center-right.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 306
  • Urchin.jpg
    Urchin.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 309
  • Tubbs blues.jpg
    Tubbs blues.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 303
  • FTS.jpg
    FTS.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 305
  • candycane.jpg
    candycane.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 304
  • blue milli.jpg
    blue milli.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 302
  • orange encrusting sps.jpg
    orange encrusting sps.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 298
  • purple milli.jpg
    purple milli.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 295
  • amazing red sps.jpg
    amazing red sps.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 299
  • topdown green milli.jpg
    topdown green milli.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 304
  • topdown pink tip milli.jpg
    topdown pink tip milli.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 295
  • group enjoyment.jpg
    group enjoyment.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 298
  • sump, reactor & sammy.jpg
    sump, reactor & sammy.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
And here's the Penn State tank (please try to ignore the lighting glare in the top down shots (I tried to block the lights without success)). What I wanted to show in the top down pix are the density of the corals. Notice you cannot see a single rock. The front view shows how big the colonies are. BTW, so that you can gain perspective, this tank is 500 gallons:

Attachments

• Green Milli.jpg
    Green Milli.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Orange Monti Digit.jpg
    Orange Monti Digit.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 294
  • Blue tip Staghorn.jpg
    Blue tip Staghorn.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 301
  • FTS.jpg
    FTS.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 300
  • Purple Nana amazing!.jpg
    Purple Nana amazing!.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 301
  • top down green Milli.jpg
    top down green Milli.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 295
  • top down with glare II.jpg
    top down with glare II.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 294
  • top down with glare III.jpg
    top down with glare III.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 289
  • top down with glare.jpg
    top down with glare.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I love the open areas in Sanjays tank. Plenty of room for the corals to grow in. which looks like something he learned from the Penn tank, omg that's dense!

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
:eek: WOW!!! Penn State I pass by in July on vacation I get some frags? Sorry talk later going to look at pics again!

Oh and Daisy they say that many corals on the reefs that are close to the shore are exposed to air many times at low tide with no ill effect on the coral except minor die off if that helps answer your question.

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Must have been very, very cool to see that!

In the last pic, the tips of the corals are out of the water - how does this impact these corals? does it encourage lateral growth (is that possible?)?

Good observation Tahl. However, the tips are only above the water surface because Sanjay turned off the return pumps so we could have a clearer top down view. If you look at the same staghorn pic in the FTS and the 2nd pic in the Penn State post, you'll see the tips are below the water surface.

Nice try everyone, I don't think we need to save his corals..... even though we did offer to 'thin out the herd' :biggrin:

The tank has been running since 1999. It started as a class gift from that years' graduating class.

Jon, the forethought that went into Sanjays' home system was very apparent. The open space for growout and swimming room is awesome. The tunnels that you can only see in person run completely through the LR structures. The amount of flow is unimpeded with all these tunnels. The placement of corals looks perfect. He placed a huge green slimer way in the back, down low, offering it room to explode. Just amazing planning went into it.

Russ

Last edited:

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Nice trip and pictures Russ!! I know you have more pictures ;).

In the last pic, the tips of the corals are out of the water - how does this impact these corals? does it encourage lateral growth (is that possible?)?

I am pretty sure they turn off the return pump so he can take clear pictures, the water level must have drop to allow the tips of these corals to show.

The tips will have dead spots as they grow out of the water, the tips then grows laterally following the water surface.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
The answer to the lighting question is.....
On the home tank he is running 400W Giesmann Coral SE lamps in Luminarcs with Ice Cap ballasts

On Penn State 400W SE XM 10K in Luminarcs on tar ballasts.

No supplements on either tank.

And as has been stated both systems are totally awesome in every way.

Randy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: