EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
it really depends on which fish. IN GENERAL (there are some exceptions such as tangs which require much larger space)beginners go around 3-5 gallons per inch of fish. As you aquire more knowledge about fishkeeping, that ratio will go down to about 2-3gallons per inch. Experts can narrow it down to 1-2 gallons per inch or less. i suggest you focus on getting one fish at a time. then, you will realize how much space each fish needs, and know when to stop.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Just add your fish one a time. You'll realize when the bioload is too high.

it really does depend on the fish ... I have 6 fish in a 29g tank. However, I have (almost) all nano fish that could get kept in a 10 gallon tank. Most of my fish never use the entire aquarium for swimming around.

It also depends on what kind of coral you are keeping. If you're keeping a lot of SPS, you probably want a lower bioload to keep your nutrients down. If you're keeping all softies, then nutrients aren't such a big deal and the question becomes more about overcrowding.

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i i kept 3 for a month and then added one every 2 after that..i dont have corals really a few zoas and thats ti, im not sure if im going to do alot of corals

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Are you fish eating? Do they have good color? Are they acting aggressively towards on another? Are they continually swimming at the glass as if they're trying to get out?

If the answers to the above questions are "No", then your fish are probably not stressed, and you're probably okay for now.

Though you should know what kind of fish you have. "Dwarf something" is not really an accurate description.

meagheavz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they swim at the glass, but only when i go up to it, the wrsse and RB use to go aftert each other but really anymore. my goby though he is a big guy , he goes after all teh crabs and alst night he tryd to get out

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ok meg, ill say this and not to be mean or rude, you get alot of the comments cause you are asking questions and getting opinion's and answer's, they seem not to be the answer's you want to hear, but they are the correct answer's. my best suggestion for you is to instead of spending money on fish corals ect, buy better equipment, look at where you want your tank to be in a year from now and see what equipment you will need to maintain a healthy and beautiful tank, throw the api test kit away, there junk. also get rid of the hydrometer and get a refractormeter. i am saying most of this stuff coming from someone who didnt listen and read enough and look enough when i first started the hobby and oh lets say $1500 later in lost fish and corals i have now learnt what it takes to have and maintain a healthy reef tank. even though urge's still come i refrain from impulse buying. patience is a virtue in this hpbby, like keeping your hands out of the tank use to be the hardest thing for me to do, but after seeing the differance from keeping hands out and the improvement im happy. there is alot of knowledge to be gained from the people here, some of the member's on here are not just known on this site but known thoughout the hobby and respected in the industry. be patient, listen, read and happy reefing, p.s you can always read through other people's tank log's, see what they are using equipment ect and methods

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: