2005_0329Image0022.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 6,671

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I got two new fish today :D 8) :P

I got a 1.5" Flame Angel and about a 3" Sailfin Tang

They look so good and the were both about half off from what I'm used to. They ate within the first hour of introduction to the tank! Not shy at all let me tell you. They were posing for shots the same day its great.

This is the family all eatting sea veggies I tied to a rock. Yeah they all eat it especially the flame angel and the wrasse.

Attachments

• 2005_0404Image0001.JPG
    2005_0404Image0001.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 6,657
  • 2005_0404Image0011.JPG
    2005_0404Image0011.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 6,655

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a pic of my spear version mantis (still unidentified)

I love him!

Attachments

• mantis 1.jpg
    mantis 1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 6,633
  • mantis 2.jpg
    mantis 2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 6,658

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting better at the pictures but I'm having trouble preventing glare from the glass...

Attachments

• 2005_0404image0008_103.jpg
    2005_0404image0008_103.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6,632
  • Clownfish 4-24-05.JPG
    Clownfish 4-24-05.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 6,627

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 4 people already tell me they couldn't see the pictures. They arent getting red X or anything, they just arent there.

Anyone else not see the like 10 pics I have in this thread?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the pictures fine

When taking pictures of things in your tank you should do something like this...

1. Turn off all pumps so the water is still
2. Clean the glass
3. Keep the tank lights on
4. Turn the Camera Flash off
5. Keep the camera flat to the glass if at all possible
6. If your camera has manual focus, it is useful at times
7. Some cameras have a Macro button that works great with the camera's autofocus. Try that out, Its one of my favorite features.

Have fun, and that is a nice looking tank you have there

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH, I forgot the whole reason I posted a reply

the four people probably were not logged in. Unless you are logged into RDO attachments do not show up.

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AHHHH that makes more sense now. Thanks for the tips I'll have to try them out. I was using the flash in the first place because poper colors dont show up when I dont use it.

My tank looks more white when I'm looking at it but when I take a picture its really blue. The first pic in the forum is without flash and the rest are with, you can tell by the reflection in the fish's eyes.

Thanks for the compliment!! People love my tank in person but you're the first online to say so! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:D

One pointer I forgot to make is you may need to set the white balance on your camera in order to get the colors right

How to change that should be in your camera instructions

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I finally found a fish that I really want. Achilles Tang :D

Pics from the first day

Attachments

• 2005_0411Image0031.JPG
    2005_0411Image0031.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 6,604
  • achilles tang 4-20-05.JPG
    achilles tang 4-20-05.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 6,604

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I found a good white balance but I'm still having trouble with the manual focus and shutter speed. If I increase the shutter too much then the pictures are dark and if its too low they are blurry :cry:

No matter how much I mess with the manual focus they pictures all still seem to be out of focus.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try spending some time taking pictures of something in your tank that is not moving, such as a rock or a shell or something.

when you get to the point where you can focus and get the lighting right and they come out nice and crisp then start working on the fish part. Getting a picture of a moving fish is extremely hard. You need a lot of light in the tank to make up for the fact that you need such a high shutter speed.

Also check out the photography forum here, you might find some tips in there. Also if you post questions about picture taking in there you will get a lot more replied

Hope that helps some

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 free xenias two weeks ago and I really wanted to add them but was afraid they would spread all over everything! My solution was to put them all on the same rock and seperate it from the other rocks. Thus containing them to cover this one piece! Hopefully it works hehe

Attachments

• Xenia 3-30-05.JPG
    Xenia 3-30-05.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 6,560
  • xenia rock 3-30-05.JPG
    xenia rock 3-30-05.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 6,577

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My birthday is tomorrow and I wanted to buy myself something :P

So I went to Indoor Reef to check out what they have. I got my first coral today!!! As far as I know its a Toadstool leather coral (Sarcophyton sp.). It came attached to a rock with 5 mushrooms :D

After I got it home I found 8 blue leg hermit crabs and 2 astrea snails also on the rock. 8O

Attachments

• Mushrooms close 4-24-05.JPG
    Mushrooms close 4-24-05.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 6,575
  • Toadstool Leather 4-24-05.JPG
    Toadstool Leather 4-24-05.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 6,573
  • Toadstool full shot 4-24-05.JPG
    Toadstool full shot 4-24-05.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 6,577

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates!

Attachments

• fishie faces.JPG
    fishie faces.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 6,576
  • right side 4-20-05.JPG
    right side 4-20-05.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 6,574
  • left side 4-20-05.JPG
    left side 4-20-05.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 6,578

garagebrian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank man! I like the picture of the "three amigos" all lined up. You started your tank after mine and you already have more corals than me. I'm still waiting on my second batch of LR :(

Brian

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG I'm so addicted! I go to the pet store every week on my day off and check out what they have. I was collecting live rock for quite some time, going to all the pet stores and getting uncured batches. I think I'm finally done and I like the way my tank looks. The pictures really dont do it justice...mostly because I suck at taking photos :cry:

Given I dont kill this one, there will be more to come ! :P

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking pictures whenever I get the chance. Starting to get the hang of everything but I should prolly turn my pumps off. Need more light so I can increase my shutter speed.

I updated a few pictures above using the 0.48 wide angel lens I got as part of the deal when I bought my camera, along with a few tricks I have learned and manual everything.

Definately better =-)

I need a macro lens but I'm having trouble finding a company that carries it.

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I ran into a big problem. I had to work 6 days this week and slept the rest of the time. I didn't really get a chance to look into my tank except to feed and that was while I was on the way out the door.

Today I had off and when I went in there I noticed two fish...of 6

I found the bodies of the achilles tang and the flame angel. The wrasse and the clown are MIA. I tested the water and found:
Ph: 8.0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia very slight
Nitrates 10

The remaining stock looks great, but then so did the fish last week. I have no idea what happened, maybe the brittle star ? That seems like the only possibility so I yanked the rock he lives in out and put it into the sump until I can catch him. Sucks to lose $200 in fish :cry:

Attachments

• DSCF0715.JPG
    DSCF0715.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 6,498
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you added the fish too fast, patience is the key in this hobby along with quarantining everything before it goes in the tank.

Any ammonia at all showing usually means your tank is doing a cycle which happens whenever the biological load goes up above that which the nitrogen cycle can handle.

So, if your tank is balanced out with fish and enough bacteria to convert all ammonia to Nitrite and then to Nitrates, and you go and double the load all at once, there will be a cycle while everything balances out.

Do a little research on Quarantine tanks and save yourself a bit of money in the future...

Sorry to hear about that, Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: