• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MyMonkey

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. Is it reef ready or do you use a hang on overflow for the sump/fuge? Considering the overflow idea. I am concerned about flooding.

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WRASSER":2xb6edra said:
Looks good Bo, nice job on istallation. Is that going to the refugium :?:

The 60g you see in that picture is my refugium. I use half of it for my equipment.

Nice tank. Is it reef ready or do you use a hang on overflow for the sump/fuge? Considering the overflow idea. I am concerned about flooding.

The tank is All Glass, no built in overflow. I plummed a CPR overflow to a 60g below, holding a 1500gph return pump. The basic idea of an overflow is this.

Water gets pumped from the refug to the main tank. You set the overflow to a certain water line, once the pump goes past the line, the water overflows into your piping and down to the sump.

Heres the idea behind flooding. When the power goes out, the return line acts as a reverse suction, sucking water from the main tank back down the return line and into the sump. However it can only go until it hits air, which means until your return outlet is exposed. What you do to prevent flooding is to keep your return line about 1-2inches from the surface of your aquarium OR drill a small hole 1-2 inches from the surface so that when that part hits air, the suction is broken and water stops leaking down into the sump.

Because my main tank is considerably larger than my refug, I leave 4 inches from the top (of the refug) to hold the excess water. I've tested it, the power HAS gone out twice since I set it up and I have yet to flood.

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres the test results from this morning:

Ph 7.8 - 7.9
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Salinity 1.023
Nitrates <8

So with the good news I went to the pet store!!! Heres what I got.

Attachments

• Sallylightfoot has a snack 7-05.JPG
    Sallylightfoot has a snack 7-05.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 7,454
  • Royal Gramma 8-30-2005.JPG
    Royal Gramma 8-30-2005.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 7,453
  • Dragon Goby 8-30-2005.JPG
    Dragon Goby 8-30-2005.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 7,453

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some updated pictures of my tank and my sump. I just took them about 20m ago, I'll update them with better versions later.

Attachments

• Refug 8-30-05.JPG
    Refug 8-30-05.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 7,450
  • Tank 8-30-2005.JPG
    Tank 8-30-2005.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 7,450

garagebrian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey bojangles,

Did you see the sally lightfoot kill the clown, or was it scavenging? I've heard when they get big they sometimes will attack fish.

B.

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I saw the sally the clown was already dead. I dont think he killed him because he couldn't even hold the corpse while he was trying to eat it. He kept dropping it over and over, which was annoying because I wanted the picture LOL

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well theres a few ways to set this skimmer up. I could have plummed it outside of the tank with about 3ft of piping and 3 elbows, but that would have cut down waterflow from the pump.

Instead I put the skimmer and pump directly into the sump with no piping at all. The pump is hooked directly to the skimmer. I raised the outflow pipe alittle and then put an 90 degree elbow in it so that the water wouldn't go everywhere. Because the outflow is above the top of the tank. Its worked excellent for me so far and I dont get excess water in the collection cup.

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much is happening on the homefront lately. I got a few new corals last week.

The first one is a candycane coral from Indonesia
and the second is also a candycane except from Fiji, better known as a bullseye coral.

Attachments

• DSCF1124.JPG
    DSCF1124.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 7,412
  • DSCF1122.JPG
    DSCF1122.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 7,413

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh I almost forgot!

My mushrooms have finished splitting!! SWEET!
I origionally bought just 2 mushrooms for $5 and now I have 10 between 3 different sections of the tank.

Attachments

• DSCF1127.JPG
    DSCF1127.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 7,408
  • DSCF1126.JPG
    DSCF1126.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 7,411

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see from the pictures I'm having a bit of an aiptasia problem. I cant find any nudibranch, allthe peppermint shrimp I put in there got eatten by my sally lightfoot crabs and copperbands are suddenly scarce.

I'll see what kind of butterfly I can get from an online vendor and hopefully that solves the problem. Tuesday I'm going to Seattle to visit a fellow reefer and adopt some of his stock :)

I'll post a full update when I get back.

Attachments

• DSCF1132.JPG
    DSCF1132.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 7,401
  • DSCF1129.JPG
    DSCF1129.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 7,402

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using Natural Saltwater from the Seattle Aquarium yesterday with my waterchange. Its 5 cents per gallon plus the gas money I use to get up there.

Artificial SW 150g bucket: $42.99

Natural SW: 5c/g = $7.50 per 150g + 2 gallons of gas each trip for 5 trips (30) = $37.50

I did 10 gallons to start here are the results from today:

Salt: 1.023
Ammonia: 0-0.25
PH: 7.8-7.9
Nitrite: 0

My nitrate test kit isn't functioning properly so I have to buy a new one. I'll be posting pictures of some new fish that I got too when I get home at 2am from work.

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some new fish last week!!! A fellow reefer, Slimmer, had to downsize alittle and I scored his Sunrise Dottyback WOOT!

He's soooo hard to take pictures of though! I'll have to update this one later with better quality.

Attachments

• DSCF1180.JPG
    DSCF1180.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 7,376
  • DSCF1178.JPG
    DSCF1178.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 7,379

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway I get him home and everything is fine, when I realize I need some brineshrimp. I go to the pet store and I found a CBB in good health!! I've been looking for one for about 3 months and hopefully he's snack on the aiptasia.

Attachments

• DSCF1173.JPG
    DSCF1173.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 7,372
  • DSCF1168.JPG
    DSCF1168.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 7,371
  • DSCF1154.JPG
    DSCF1154.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 7,373

garagebrian

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great man! Coming along nicely and I love the sunrise dottyback. Please let us know more details about that one, personality, is it out a lot or does it hide more? I'm seriously considering buying two of those from ORA and trying to breed them.

Brian

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him for about 2 weeks now and I'd say he's 50/50. He's in and out of the live rock all day but also spends alot of time in front. Nothing like the tangs or other fish I've had, swimming back and forth along the glass. Almost as if he's more interested in the rocks themselves and the security they have to offer than the other residents or myself.

I really really like this fish! The royal gramma stays close to the rock work but in open water, completely unlike this fish that will go in somewhere and pop out 10 seconds later on the other side of the tank. Almost like a game of sorts. So far he eats everything I put in, including flakes both prime reef and formula 2. Looks great, but does bicker somewhat with the royal gramma. I'm not sure about breeding but they say not to put 2 dottybacks in the same tank unless its big. I figure my 6' should be able to house a fridmani as well.

I am still having problems with the CBB though. He seems to be searching intently for something on the rocks and spends 99% of his time in this manner. He's not losing weight so he must be eating something, hopefully the aiptasia. So far I've tried prime reef, formula 2, formula 1, cyclopeeze, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...the butterfly died of cycanide poisoning a week or so after I got him. There remains only one place that i can get livestock from of any quality. From that LFS 8 of 9 survived so I'll continue to go to them.

Anyway here are some specs I took this morning while I was waiting for my shipment from Petsolutions.

Ph: 8.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
salinity 1.025

Q/t
Ph: 8.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Salinity 1.026

I'll post pictures in a few after everything has settled down.

Bojangles

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I've had some losses in the last 2 months. My copperband butterfly died of cycanide poisoning and my dragon goby jumped out =-(

However there has been some birth to go along with the tragedy, such as in life yes?

My toadstool coral has fragged itself twice, creating 2 new corals!
The xenia has also fragged itself creating 3 new sprouts.
Blue mushrooms have been reproducing now equaling 13!
Candycane coral (teal) 40% growth!
Lastly what I believe to be a bullseye coral has doubled in size.

Attachments

• DSCF1193.JPG
    DSCF1193.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 7,226
  • DSCF1206.JPG
    DSCF1206.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 7,223
  • DSCF1195.JPG
    DSCF1195.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 7,223

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: