• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
well, the algea seems to really enjoy this sand, and ive had alk flucuations, but stable, it hardens rock hard in spots and ive had to break it up a few times...ask scoots, jhale and randy they may have some experiences pros and cons themselves

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I used 100lb of it in my new setup and I'm not sure if some of my problems are from it or not. In the beginning it gave off a very strong smell, and this was after soaking it in fresh water for about 2 months. The smell went away after about 3 days but the tank still isn't right after 2 months. Also I I'm getting some in my skim as it seems to smell like it. If I had the chance again I wouldn't have used it.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I have experienced absolutely none of the problems expressed here ( after a short break-in period) Alk and Mag are used up quickly at first, but this is the case with all sterile sand beds until they become coated with bacteria etc. and an initial layer of calcium carbonate is laid down. I did have a persistent Dinoflagelate problem that has disappeared rapidly ( I mean a few days!!!) after changing my lamps from old Phoenix 14k to new ( much brighter and whiter) Ushio 14ks, so I don't think the sand bed had much to do with it.

Never heard of the smell thing before, so I can't comment.

Just an observation (not an accusation), but it seems at quick glance that most of those who have complaints are recently re-converted BB reefers---- perhaps you forgot what it was like to have sandbeds???---- they do require maintenance ( they get dirty, they clump, they chemically affect the water), isn't that why many of you got rid of them in the 1st place?

Randy

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
dinoflagelate??? i have 50/50 and i love it.i added a diamond goby and he keeps the sand loose.i have noticed some serious coralline growth and some lr that i had got before my setup.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've had no problems with my fine grain esv sand either.
no smell, no clumps, it does suck up some mg but that stops after two weeks.

I bought too much for my tank. I have 2 buckets of fine grain left. if you want to buy one let me know.

digitalreefer

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It looks incredible, though it is noticeable when it gets dirty. I have coarse in one of my tanks and just put fine in my other tank. So far the only problem I've noticed is that while I expected a mini-cycle in my restarted tank, it seems a bit worse than I thought it should have been. I don't know if that's in part due to the sand.

SlamaJama

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.3%
152   1   0
prattreef;260504[I said:
]........[/I]
Just an observation (not an accusation), but it seems at quick glance that most of those who have complaints are recently re-converted BB reefers---- perhaps you forgot what it was like to have sandbeds???---- they do require maintenance ( they get dirty, they clump, they chemically affect the water), isn't that why many of you got rid of them in the 1st place?

Randy
lmao, true that RD!..I didnt think of it that way..

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
i am using the fine grade sand and have no problems with it either. get a couple of good sandsifters and you will be okay. No Alk, Ca or Mg problems whatsoever. I have not had any problems with it clumping either.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: